Reading Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ThatLanguageGuy
Textkit Neophyte

Reading Latin

Post by ThatLanguageGuy »

Reading Latin by JACT 1 ed. is quite expensive on Amazon, but nota bene a new edition comes out on November 30. I am deciding whether or not I want to increase my skills in "reading" rather than "translating." Do you all think 1st edition will be cheaper when the 2nd is released as happened with Reading Greek?

swtwentyman
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Reading Latin

Post by swtwentyman »

I think you've got it backwards -- if you want to read, start reading real literature. "Decoding" is basically what you're doing when you go through textbooks. It's far cheaper just to reread the textbook you already have and probably just as effective, BTW, as most textbooks offer the same material with some variation between them. More to the point you'll keep reviewing the more basic parts of grammar presented earlier in the book and give the more-important advanced material later in the textbooks short shrift. There's a list of good beginners' reading material somewhere around here.

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Ursinus »

Consider using Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata to improve your reading skills. Also look here for some beginner/intermediate readings to bridge the gap: http://hiberna-cr.wikidot.com/reading-material. I also have discovered Ritchie's Fabulae Faciles, which I find are wonderful to read. Just read, read, read. Maybe do some composing, speaking, and listening as well.

Don't spend a lot of time going back over textbooks. It's better, once you have your grammar under your belt, to just start reading and return to the grammar on an ad hoc/as needed basis.
In hoc enim fallimur, quod mortem prospicimus" -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Vestibulum: Revised and Expanded

Διορθοῦ με εἰ πλανῶμαι, παρακαλῶ.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

ThatLanguageGuy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ThatLanguageGuy »

Alright I will consider Lingua Latina. Ever since I joined this forum in July, I've heard this is pretty good after grammar (or as a beginner). I already have the Lingua Latina editions of Commentarii de Bellō Gallicō and the Aeneid books I and IV. I don't have the beginning book though. I can translate Latin, however it takes some time, and I am not able to read with fluency and always fleeing to a dictionary.