Cursus Linguae Latinae Vivae vs. Assimil?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
whsiv
Textkit Neophyte

Cursus Linguae Latinae Vivae vs. Assimil?

Post by whsiv »

Salvete omnes!

I am wondering if anyone is able to give an account of the relative aims/projected outcomes of Fr. Siedl's Cursus Linguae Latinae Vivae versus Desessard's Lingua Latina Sine Molestia (of the Assimil family).

I know that our bedwere is an avid fan and promoter of CLLV, and I know that there are some adherents of the Assimil method around here, but I am wondering if students using these methods are expected to have the same sort of speaking facility by the end of each of these courses, or if the courses have different objectives.

If anyone can compare the two, I would be very grateful.

Valete.

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Cursus Linguae Latinae Vivae vs. Assimil?

Post by Ursinus »

Unfortunately, the assimil course only has translation in french, I believe. If you know french, awesome. It should be a great resource.
In hoc enim fallimur, quod mortem prospicimus" -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Vestibulum: Revised and Expanded

Διορθοῦ με εἰ πλανῶμαι, παρακαλῶ.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Ursinus »

Also, see my recent thread on the same topic: http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-foru ... =3&t=64879
In hoc enim fallimur, quod mortem prospicimus" -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Vestibulum: Revised and Expanded

Διορθοῦ με εἰ πλανῶμαι, παρακαλῶ.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

Ursinus wrote:Unfortunately, the assimil course only has translation in french, I believe. If you know french, awesome. It should be a great resource.
The (older) Assimil Latin by Desessard has been translated in Italian and German I think, they also recorded the audio anew with both pronunciations available, classical and ecclesiastical.

Nesrad
Textkit Fan

Post by Nesrad »

Assimil recently re-edited Desessard's original course, putting an end to its brief replacement Yes, it's only available in French, German, and Italian. But if you don't already know one of those languages, it's time to learn.

On the other hand, I am not a fan of the Asssimil method. It seems too disorganized and superficial. I would recommend instead Fr. Most's method, Latin by the natural method.