translation question

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
spqr
Textkit Fan

translation question

Post by spqr »

L. Junio Bruto duce,populus Romanus iuravit se nec Tarquinium nec alium regem regnare passurum esse.

translation: With Lucius Junius Brutus being made the leader, the Roman people swore that it would allow neither a Tarquin nor another king to rule. I used the word 'it' because passurum is neuter but se reflects back to populus Romanus which is masculine. So maybe my translation is lacking somewhere?

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: translation question

Post by calvinist »

passurum is accusative-singular-masculine in agreement with se (referring back to populus) which is the accusative subject of the accusative-infinitive (here future) clause. However, English wants "they" here unless you render populus with "populace" which would take "it".

Sorry for the double post, I don't know how to delete the other one. :)
Last edited by calvinist on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

passurum is accusative-singular-masculine in agreement with se (referring back to populus) which is the accusative subject of the accusative-infinitive (here future) clause. However, English wants "they" here unless you render populus with "populace" which would take "it".

spqr
Textkit Fan

Post by spqr »

I forgot that masculine accusative is -um as well as neuter.

spqr
Textkit Fan

Post by spqr »

How would the sentence be worded if one wish to say......"that neither a Tarquin king nor another king would be allowed to rule."