Adler: error in Key to Exercise 33

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Adler: error in Key to Exercise 33

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

I am (still and probably for some time) transcribing/proofreading Adler's exercises contained in his Practical Grammar (and the Key prepared by the author himself).

There seems to be what appears to me to be an obvious error, but I wanted to run this by you before changing it (I do not want to introduce errors of mine).
  • Has he as much tea as coffee? Estne ei tantum theae (note: feminine), quantum coffeae (note: feminine)?
  • He has more of the latter than of the former.|Est ei plus de hoc (note: masculine) quam de illo (note: masculine).
This change of gender most certainly is a mere oversight, isn't it? I would suggest the following correction:
  • Estne ei tantum theae, quantum coffeae? (same as in original)
  • Est ei plus de hac quam de illa. (changed)
Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Adler: error in Key to Exercise 33

Post by calvinist »

Perhaps they are neuter, which is acceptable, although with the referents so close in mind one would expect grammatical gender to remain. For example, if one were holding a book either vis hunc? or vis hoc? would be fine, in addition to the simple vis?

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salve Calvinist,
calvinist wrote:Perhaps they are neuter, which is acceptable
your reasoning might be correct. On page 105 of his Practical Grammar does introduce this construction as follows:
Adler wrote: More of the one than of the other.--Plus ex (de) altero (uno), quam ex (de) altero or illo.
He also introduces a similar construction but this time goes out of his way to note feminine gender:
More of these than of those.--Plus horum(harum, horum) quam illorum (illarum, illorum). [and] Plus (plures, plura) ex (de) his quam ex (de) illis.
Still, shouldn't in the above example plus de hac quam de illa be equally correct (if not entirely the construction Adler had in mind)? If it is correct, it might be best to add a respective note.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

Yes, the feminines would be correct as well.