Online: Meissner Unleashed

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Online: Meissner Unleashed

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

Some may know Meissner Bite-sized, my HTML-version of Meissner's Latin Phrase Book. I created a more useful and capable version which allows to display entries in several and in my opinion quite useful ways (and includes a bit of search-capability as well): Meissner Unleashed.

If you have ever used the Latin Phrase Book, then this is a must-have. You can download Meissner Unleashed v1.0 (zipped, 175.8 kb) from the Download-section of my homepage.

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Online: Meissner Unleashed

Post by Interaxus »

Thanks for a marvellous tool. I just tried entering some English words (like 'head' and 'bring') in the Search field. Results are a sheer delight.

Also I copy/pasted 'Naval Affairs in General' into that other gem of a program, the Alatius Macronizer. After I unmacronized the English where necessary, the Meissner text itself was even further improved. Pity you don't offer a doc version of your original pdf transcription. Then one could macronize larger chunks at one go. (Some people are never satisfied!)

Ut valeas,
Int

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Gratias ago tibi!

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Salve Interaxe,
Interaxus wrote:Pity you don't offer a doc version of your original pdf transcription. Then one could macronize larger chunks at one go. (Some people are never satisfied!)
I was not aware that anyone would be interested in the MS Word-version. I imagined that anyone wanting to do something different with Meissner's Latin Phrase Book would use the raw text input file I created while transcribing the text, do text conversion on it to fit the needs (e.g. for serving as input file for a smartphone app). That is why I uploaded the input file, after all.

I shall send you a (temporary) download link to the doc-version. But I am also going to create a version of this text for Project Gutenberg (a text version plus an html-document), something that I have intended to do for some time.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

As an afterthought I would like to add that it is easy to create a complete HTML-version of Meissner's Latin Phrase Book using Meissner Unleashed:
  • Start Meissner Unleashed.
  • Uncheck the option Random. Of course, if you prefer a randomized version, simply keep it checked.
  • Set the Entries Wanted to the maximum value by pressing the button All.
  • Make sure that in the text field to the right of the button Print sections it says "1-18".
  • Press the button Print sections.
  • Voilà, there it is.
And please do read the HELP-text of Meissner Unleashed (this is not a reproach, just for emphasis, because, personally, I never bother to do so unless I am completely desperate). At the bottom it offers a bit of advice on how to customize its initial behaviour (and yes, that is useful).

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Salve Carole!

Gratias tibi ago. Downloaded and unzipped doc file without a hitch.

I've yet to put Meissner Unleashed through its paces. Thanks for reminding me that there's a Help file. I'll peek into it one day soon ...

Ut valeas!
Int

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Salve!

actually, it is not a help file. Just press the Help button when Meissner Unleashed is running.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Salvete!

I have uploaded v1.1 of Meissner Unleashed to the Download-section of my homepage. This update features:
  • Optional output-format "table".
  • Menu can ben turned off completely for a non-interactive mode, or reduced to a single line (and maximized again) in interactive mode.
  • Easier customization of the script (for more see the "Help"-function).
In the "Help"-section three customized versions (each with only a few lines of code changed) are suggested. I strongly recommend to try these out for yourself. They are what I am using and show what Meissner Unleashed v1.1 can do for you.

A note for programmers who may read this:
I tried to implement a feature which would allow the output (which is contained in a div with the name "output") of the script to be copied to a new window. I miserably failed to do so. Yes, the new window is opened, and the content arrives there, but after that everything goes haywire. Encoding is switched to UTF2, Firefox does not end working, etc. I left the relevant bits (menu button, function) in the script, but commented them out. Should anyone be able to contribute this bit of code, I would be very grateful because it would improve the usefulness of the script considerably (and allow me to extend the functionality of the scripts Adler Unleashed and Ripman Unleashed, which I am working on).

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus