Henle Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
secny22
Textkit Neophyte

Henle Latin

Post by secny22 »

IS it reasonable to think you will be able to read Latin fluently or pretty well after finishing Henle I, Henle II, Henle III, and Henle IV? How modified are the Latin sentences he uses? They seem to be modified and adapted to be easier. I Would not want to spend that much time while not receiving the due progress and benefits. Maybe combine it with the direct method as well? But the mind can only take so much.

Thank you very much for any quality advise regarding this inquiry.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Henle Latin

Post by thesaurus »

secny22 wrote:IS it reasonable to think you will be able to read Latin fluently or pretty well after finishing Henle I, Henle II, Henle III, and Henle IV? How modified are the Latin sentences he uses? They seem to be modified and adapted to be easier. I Would not want to spend that much time while not receiving the due progress and benefits. Maybe combine it with the direct method as well? But the mind can only take so much.

Thank you very much for any quality advise regarding this inquiry.
I wasn't familiar with Henle, but I've been scoping it out online.

It's always hard to talk about "fluency" in Latin, but I think it's safe to say that this course will take to you into the "pretty well" level. Looking at the fourth volume, it's basically an annotated reader of some solid texts. It looks like the course front loads all of the grammar in the first book (actually a separate grammar book to acoompany it). If you can handle that strict approach, it'll be good for you.

The readings in the fourth book don't look modified--a speech of Cicero and the first six books of the Aeneid. The commentary appears intelligent. Not having gone through the course I can't say how hard the readings are supposed to feel at the end, but given the fairly spartan grammatical commentary, I'd say that you're expected to have a good handle on it.

Short answer: you'll be reading Latin like a champ if you successfully complete the series.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute