Venito Mecum - a song in Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Venito Mecum - a song in Latin

Post by Lucus Eques »

Saluete omnes! One of my favorite doo wop songs is "Come and Go with Me," so I decided to translate it into Latin; I've recorded myself singing it and put it on Laureola. I hope you like it!

Valete!
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

This is the first time I've heard your voice. It didn't sound like what I expected (but then, I'm not sure what I expected your voice to sound like).

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Oh really? Well, I have a recording in the Prosody and Syllable Stress thread and in some other threads, and also on the main page of the Tabularium in Laureola, which are just in my speaking voice.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Re: Venito Mecum - a song in Latin

Post by cdm2003 »

Lucus Eques wrote:Saluete omnes! One of my favorite doo wop songs is "Come and Go with Me," so I decided to translate it into Latin; I've recorded myself singing it and put it on Laureola. I hope you like it!

Valete!
Wow...it's one of my favorite's too...your version sounds awesome! Looks like Ammondt and his Latin Elvis have some serious competition. Let me know when the CD comes out! :D

Did you do each part yourself and then mixed the separate tracks?
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

cdm2003 wrote:
Wow...it's one of my favorite's too...your version sounds awesome! Looks like Ammondt and his Latin Elvis have some serious competition. Let me know when the CD comes out! :D

Did you do each part yourself and then mixed the separate tracks?
Multas gratias! nimis es benignus; I have a lot more refinement to do before that. :-) Yes, I just recorded the tracks separately and mixed them.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Thanks a million for your juke-box Latin. And for promoting Sherlock in Latin.

For those unaware of the delights and pedagogical merits of Holmes done-into-Latin, here are some clues worth following up:

The Yellow Face:

http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/d/ ... .face.html

Facies Lucea:

http://ephemeris.alcuinus.net/holmesiaca.php

Silver Blaze:

http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/d/ ... blaze.html

Fulmen Argenteum:

http://ephemeris.alcuinus.net/holmesiaca.php?id=216

Cheers,
Int

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

ha Luce some things never change,

damn I want to hear this but there are no speakers on this public computer, I will just have to wait then...

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

QVIS IN PRIMAST

Post by Lucus Eques »

Saluete!

I've finished another recording in the theme of old radio, this time of the classic Abbott and Costello routine "Who's on First." I remember Amadeus asking for high-speed Latin — well, this is the fastest I've ever attempted. Placeat uobis!

Valetote!

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

cantator
Textkit Fan

Re: QVIS IN PRIMAST

Post by cantator »

Lucus Eques wrote:I've finished another recording in the theme of old radio, this time of the classic Abbott and Costello routine "Who's on First." I remember Amadeus asking for high-speed Latin — well, this is the fastest I've ever attempted. Placeat uobis!
Outstanding ! And hilarious !

Excellent reading, Luce. Maybe someday you could be coerced into reading some Plautus ?

(I must add that it sounds a lot like Mexican radio. "Baile, baile, baile ! Sabado y Domingo ! Baile toda la noche !") :)
Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.

cantator
Textkit Fan

Post by cantator »

Lucus Eques wrote:Saluete omnes! One of my favorite doo wop songs is "Come and Go with Me," so I decided to translate it into Latin; I've recorded myself singing it and put it on Laureola. I hope you like it!
Great fun.

I used to play this song with Myron & The Deltrons, a 50s band out of Toledo OH. Always a favorite.

Thanks, Lucus, it was a fine way to start my day. :)
Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Fantastic! Applaudo!

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Re: QVIS IN PRIMAST

Post by Amadeus »

Lucus Eques wrote:Saluete!

I've finished another recording in the theme of old radio, this time of the classic Abbott and Costello routine "Who's on First." I remember Amadeus asking for high-speed Latin — well, this is the fastest I've ever attempted. Placeat uobis!

Valetote!

Luke, that was amazing!!! The speed and the accent, excellent! How did you pull it off? Was it two distinct persons or did you mix your voice so as to simulate 2 locutores?

Now, I confess, I've seen the Abbot and Costello routine just once, and only got the joke half way through it :roll: , but now I'd like to listen to it again so I can enjoy more of your fabulous recording. Kudos, man!

Vale!

Post scriptum: is it true that you are a teacher now?
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Amadeus wrote:Luke, that was amazing!!! The speed and the accent, excellent! How did you pull it off? Was it two distinct persons or did you mix your voice so as to simulate 2 locutores?
Thank you very kindly, Amadeus! It was just me; I just used the upper register of my voice for Costello, and the lower for Abbott. Though I wish there were someone else around here I could do these things with! ;-)
Now, I confess, I've seen the Abbot and Costello routine just once, and only got the joke half way through it :roll: , but now I'd like to listen to it again so I can enjoy more of your fabulous recording. Kudos, man!
Multas gratias, amice! If you're itnerested, here is the original radio recording from the '30s:

http://www.radiocrazy.com/shows/A/Abbot ... stclip.mp3
Post scriptum: is it true that you are a teacher now?
Yes, I've been teaching Italian for the last two semesters, through a non-credit programme where things like cooking, guitar lessons, and other material can be taught. It's a lot of fun. I also am teaching Latin with my classics club with Lingua Latina.

Interaxe, Adriane et Cantator, thank you for the compliments; as for some Plautus, I'll give a whack at it, sure, soon as I have the time. Of course, that shall be praedicate upon internalizing the elaborate verse forms therewith, but that would be a lot of fun to pull off: Egomet memet qui nunc sum domi ...

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS