Gathering together Monolingual Latin Resources

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Theocritus
Textkit Neophyte

Gathering together Monolingual Latin Resources

Post by Theocritus »

Salvete o collegae!

This being my first post, I'd like to make it brief: I'm trying to restart with Orberg after a few months of stress and distraction. I mean to immerse myself and put together the best monolingual Latin resources around. If there are other threads that have already put this together, please let me know.

Ideally, I'd like to make a sticky thread with the best resources organized and linked. Perhaps the stuff can even be put on textkit. For now, I've found John Adam's copy of the Thesaurus Linguæ Latinæ mentioned in another thread on the Internet Archive. It seems like an incredibly thorough dictionary, and I'm hoping it's as legible as it appears so far.

Any other resources? Grammars? Prosody manuals? I'd appreciate any contributions!

A.A.I
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Gathering together Monolingual Latin Resources

Post by A.A.I »

Hey there, I'm in roughly the same situation as you. I'm restarting Latin after not being able to study for some months - after I'd only been at it for a short time. Well, time to get back with things!

Over this time, however, I've been collecting materials. So far, that's quite a lot but I'm sure there's a lot more. A catalogue of sorts would be wonderful.

I'd love to get involved.

P.S. I think that Textkit needs a wiki for such projects.

Theocritus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Theocritus »

Thanks for the reply A.A.I. I've made a general post in the Open Board on this subject for a bunch of languages, and I hope this can develop sometime soon. I'm starting fresh with Lingua Latina, so once I've gotten some proficiency, I'll post whatever I find here.

Best of luck!

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

You might take a look at http://www.edonnelly.com/google.html.
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

A very comprehensive monolingual Latin dictionary is Forcellini's Lexicon Totius Latinitatis in 5-volume, as far as I can see the best monolingual Latin dictionary freely available.

It can be downloaded as a set of PDF-files from the web-site Documenta Catholica OMnia. One Textkit-user has even created a web-interface for it (using images of somewhat lower resolution). I can definitely recommend this one.

See also the Texkit-thread Forcellini's 'Lexicon totius Latinitatis'.

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.