Online reading/translation group, with Skype?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Rindu
Textkit Member

Online reading/translation group, with Skype?

Post by Rindu »

Hi,
It's been too long since I read the noble tongues, and even longer since I sat across from a group of people and we all translated out loud. I miss that. I miss having these shared experiences of texts with other people, I miss the engaging conversations and insights you get when living so close to the texts as you must when engaged in translation.

So, I'd like to know if anyone would be interested in forming a reading group--we'd meet once, maybe twice a week on Skype for about an hour and go over some portion of a text. I'm not talking about a "learn latin" group, I'm talking about a "hey, let's read LIvy" group. Or whatever author we choose.

I'm currently reading straight through Lingua Latina as a refresher, and was originally planning to then jump into Livy and read ALL of Livy. But we can figure that out. We can design our own syllabus.

It would be best to get started on this, for me, in late June. I just wanted to put a feeler out there to see if anyone would be interested in something like this.

Craig_Thomas
Textkit Member

Re: Online reading/translation group, with Skype?

Post by Craig_Thomas »

You might be interested in this free online mediaeval Latin reading group that starts in June:

http://blogs.dickinson.edu/dcc/2013/05/ ... ne-course/

It will take place on Google Plus, as I understand it, and the videos will apparently end up on YouTube.

Rindu
Textkit Member

Post by Rindu »

That is quite interesting, thanks for the link. Unfortunately I will be out of town for the first two weeks of that, so I'll be missing out.

dgreen
Textkit Neophyte

Post by dgreen »

Hi Rindu

Were you ever able to get a skype Latin reading group going? I would be very interested in joining such a group. I've never translated Livy but would love to give it a go.

Deborah