Sentence from LLPSI Cap 39

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Sentence from LLPSI Cap 39

Post by pmda »

Aenas is appealing to Venus (although he doesn't recognize his mother) for help:

Quaecumque es, sis nobis felix et doceas nos quo sub caelo et quibus in oris versemur; namque ignari et hominum et locorum erramus, postquam vento et fluctibus huc acti sumus. Multas hostias ante aras tibi immolabimus!"

I'm taking it that the word 'quo (underlined) simply means 'where'. So it translates as.

'Whoever you are if you could show fortune to us and direct us, where under the sky in this region we roam; for, ignorant of the people and of the place, we wander, after having been brought here by wind and waves. Many are the sacrifices we shall make before your alter.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Sentence from LLPSI Cap 39

Post by adrianus »

Ut opinor
"Whoever you are, please favour us and instruct us under what sky and upon which shores we should live"
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Sentence from LLPSI Cap 39

Post by furrykef »

I know this is an old thread, but I happened upon it while googling this sentence.

Given the context, I think the sense is "upon which shores we are" whether than "upon which shores we should live". Aeneas and his crew are lost and wondering where they've ended up, and that's the question that Venus answers.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!