Two questions from Orberg LLPSI XXXVIII

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Two questions from Orberg LLPSI XXXVIII

Post by pmda »

I'd like to clear a couple of things up from Orberg's LLPSI Cap XXXVIII.

1. Quae postquam Helenus vates divino ore fatus est, dona magnifica ad naves ferri iussit.

Quae is neuter nominative plural - after which (things / events).??

2. Praeterea hoc unum ante omnia te moneo: semper Iunonem primum adora atque illi deae potenti maxima sacrificia fac!

What is 'Praeterea hoc unum ante omnia' ? I think it means Besides, one thing above all I warn you..

but I'm not sure how it works. 'te moneo' is easy. 'te' is accusative. But what is 'hoc unum'? Is it neuter nominative or neuter accusative...and why?

Or does 'hoc unum' refer to a previous point. 'Besides this one thing....above all I warn you....?

Craig_Thomas
Textkit Member

Re: Two questions from Orberg LLPSI XXXVIII

Post by Craig_Thomas »

postquam is a conjunction and praetereā an adverb, so it can't be "after which things" and "besides this one thing" as they would be respectively rendered with prepositions: post quae/haec and praeter hoc unum.

postquam goes with the verb: "After he had said these [words/things] ..."

Your first translation of the second sentence was correct. As you guessed, monēre can take a double accusative. In his Latin primer, Kennedy says (208, Note 3.):
moneō, advise, accūsō, arguō, accuse, cōgō, compel, take Acc. of the Thing if it is a Neuter Pronoun:
Hoc tē moneō: I give you this advice.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: Two questions from Orberg LLPSI XXXVIII

Post by pmda »

Many thanks Craig