it remains that..., it is left that...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

it remains that..., it is left that...

Post by Junya »

from Iamblichus' De Mysteriis (translated by Ficino)
regulae mensurarum, magnitudinum.....apud nos observatae restantur astronomiae scientiam esse veram
I ask about restantur.

1.Though the passive usage of this word is not listed in Lewis and Short, can I consider it as meaning the same as restant ?

2. I'm bad at understanding the English it remains that....
Is it meaning it remains as a fact that...., or it has not said or done or brought about that... ?
(Which meaning is relevant here ? Tell me if you can decide.)

from Lewis and Short for resto
III. To be left, remain (syn. remaneo......
Impers.: “restat, ut aut summa neglegentia tibi obstiterit, aut, etc.,” Cic. Quint. 12, 41; so, “restat, ut,” id. N. D. 2, 16, 44; 17 init.; Hor. Ep. 1, 1, 27 al.—With inf. (mostly poet.): “nec aliud restabat quam corrigere, etc.,” Liv. 44, 4, 8: “restabat aliud nihil, nisi oculos pascere,” Ter. Phorm. 1, 2, 35; Ov. M. 1, 700; Stat. S. 4, 1, 40.—

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Re: it remains that..., it is left that...

Post by Alatius »

I suspect a misreading/misprint/OCR-error. Does "testantur" fit in the context?

Edit: Is this the text you are reading from? http://www.aussagenlogik.org/iamblichus ... gyptiorum/
I managed to find the relevant part in Google books by searching for the first words in the sentence following your quote, "Porphyrius dicit dominum". All the editions I could find (e.g. this one) agree on "testantur".

Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Junya »

Thank you Adrianus. :)
Yes, I am reading it at that site.
Maybe I should go to Google Books whenever I feel the reading is difficult,
though the characters and abbreviations in old printings are difficult for me.

--------
You would not remember, but I posted questions here before asking what kind of texts I should read.
My interest is split in several directions,
1. medieval and renaissance magical literature,
2. philosophy, written in Ancient Greek (because I am studying Greek, I want to read Greek texts), neo-platonism and all,
3. medieval philosophy,
4. medicine, written in Greek or Latin,
5. Indian philosophy, written in Sanskrit,
6. translating Greek and Latin philosophical texts whose Greek and Latin are extremely difficult and on which there are only poor translators now and so far,
7. Egypt (when I was in highschool, I felt like getting into the study of the history of Egypt, influenced by tv programs showing pyramids, other huge architectures, papyri with fascinating mysterious pictures.)

I noticed Iamblichus stands over four or five of these fields.
Do you have other suggestions on whom I should take up the study of ?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Don't mention it, Junya. Alatius helped.
Libenter, amice. Alatius me adjuvit.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.