Zenoni dicto

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Zenoni dicto

Post by pmda »

Latine (adv.); Latinus, Latina, Latinum

I'm revising vocubulary in LLPSI Pars 1 and have found the following, the grammar of which I don't understand (must have been asleep the first time around.

Marcus "Ego ipse non scribo, sed Zenoni dicto. Zeno est servus doctus qui et Latine et Graece scit.

mmmm.. Now I know what this means. He doesn't write but dictates to his servant but what's the grammar.

Is '....sed Zenoni dicto' an ablative absolute 'I don't write myself but my servant is dictated to...? Is Zeononi ablative? or is it dative....but then what would be the subject of dicto...

Then we have 'Zeno est...qui et Latine et scit..'

'Latine' is an adverb . Latine scit .... knowing latin ?

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Zenoni dicto

Post by thesaurus »

Zenoni is dative. Dicto, dictare is "to dictate," so it's just the first person verb "I dictate to Zeno." As with many verbs of speaking, the object is in the dative.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: Zenoni dicto

Post by pmda »

Thanks Thesaurus