National Latin Exam

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
d_kushnir
Textkit Neophyte

National Latin Exam

Post by d_kushnir »

Hello:

My son is interested in taking National Latin exam, he studies Latin on his own using the books recomended by the High school Latin teacher. He is not in Latin class because he is in Middle school.

Is it true that the only way to sign up for National Latin exam is through the Latin teacher and only if you take Latin in school officially?
Will it work if my son does self-study and asks the High school teacher to sign him up later? He contacted the teacher asking for textbook recommendations, she was very nice and called him back and recommended the Cambridge course and that's what he is studying now.

Does anybody know about any available worksheets/assignments/homework to go with Cambridge Latin Unit 1?
The book itself does not have too many assignments to do. (We will try to get some from the nice High school teacher, but with summer break starting soon I am not sure if we can get anything soon).

Thank you very much.

antianira
Textkit Neophyte

Post by antianira »

You could look into signing up as a homeschool student. I would assume the exam has some type of accomodations for homeschoolers, and since he's technically learning it on his own, he may qualify.

d_kushnir
Textkit Neophyte

Post by d_kushnir »

Yes, they accomodate homeschoolers and I thout about it, but since he is officially not a homeschooler, I doubt if we can do it that way.
The worst case scenario I can imagine is we sign him up as a homeschooler, he gets his Gold medal and then they disqualify him because officially he belongs to a school.

Magistra
Textkit Member

Post by Magistra »

I would suggest contacting the committee directly, explaining your situation and asking them what you should do. I feel certain that they will want to accomodate as many students as possible (without risking the integrity of the test, of course.)

These are from the official website (http://www.nle.org/)

How to Contact the NLE:

Phone:
1-888-378-7721
1-800-459-9847

Address:

National Latin Exam
University of Mary Washington
1301 College Avenue
Fredericksburg, VA 22401

New Email Address:
nle@umw.edu

Magistra

Magistra
Textkit Member

Post by Magistra »

Does anybody know about any available worksheets/assignments/homework to go with Cambridge Latin Unit 1?
The book itself does not have too many assignments to do. (We will try to get some from the nice High school teacher, but with summer break starting soon I am not sure if we can get anything soon).
I'm assuming you're using the North American Edition.

There is an Independent Study guide available from the Resource Center at the North American Cambridge Classics Project (http://www.cambridgelatin.com). It is for the 3rd edition, but aside from page numbers being different, it should work well with the 4th edition. There are many other aids available there, mostly for the 3rd edition. Last Monday I received a posting from them saying that they request that no orders be sent currently since they are in the process of moving the Resource Center. I just checked the website and the catalog is still available for downloading; I'd just hold off a bit on sending an order if you see something you'd like.

Materials for the 4th edition can be found at cambridge.org/us. Just type in Cambridge Latin Course in their search box to see their catalog.

Another good place for practice is www.quia.com. You can create a free student account and then access the shared activities and search for activities pertaining to the CLC.

Magistra