Software

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
MafuZa
Textkit Neophyte

Software

Post by MafuZa »

I know it might sound Far-fetched... but is there any kind of free software for learning latin on the internet. I've searched for ages but i have still not found what i'm looking for.

Sincerely
-Mafuza

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

For Linux, there's a relatively analogous program called KLatin (for KDE):

http://edu.kde.org/klatin/index.php

It tests you on forms, vocabulary, etc.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

MafuZa
Textkit Neophyte

Thanks

Post by MafuZa »

Thank yo for your help... but Lingua Latina is for people who know latin and want to practise, I am a complete beginner. and I can't download that Klatin thingy. Thanks anyways

camomiletea
Textkit Neophyte

Post by camomiletea »

I found a couple on the ewtn.com website:
6. Catholic Software - LATIN.ZIP - Latin Vocabulary Program for Windows, Updated
Kevin Clark
This attractive Latin vocabulary drilling program for Windows was written by Kevin Clark, co-host of the Home Education and Schools Forum. This release of October 1994 corrects some problems with the original September 1994 release. Shareware. LATIN SHAREWARE VOCABULARY DRILL PROGRAM WINDOWS PC
10. Catholic Software - LATLAD.ZIP - Scalae Verborum Latin Word Ladder
Paul Widergren
3 shareware programs to help you learn Latin. Includes 3400 word dictionary.
They are somewhat difficult to set up (a couple of files from the second folder need to be moved to the first)[1], and they appear to be very old... I've been using them to learn words -- particularly the second one; but I think the first one allows you to create your own lists of words, so that's useful too.

I also downloaded a "Before You Know It" (Lite version which is free) from Transparent (http://byki.com/FLSIndPage.pl?Lang=Tlan). It also has pronunciation, but I didn't like the selection of words they have, didn't seem very useful (names of months, colors, seasons, some others).

[Footnote 1: To install, unzip both folders, then you'll need to move a couple of files from LATLAD to LATIN. In the end, LATIN should have the following files:

INSTALL.EXE
INSTALL.INF
EXPAND.EXE
LATIN.EX$
GRAPH.VB$
GSW.EX$
VENDOR.DOC
FILE_ID.DIZ
LATINBCT.DL$
GSWDLL.DL$
BC3D20.VB$
LATINWRD.EXE
LATINWIN.DOC

Click INSTALL.EXE

The second 3-in-1 program needs no installation, just click on SV.BAT to start.]
Last edited by camomiletea on Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Also, it's a long-shot, but you may want to check your library. Mine has a deal where anyone can access Rosetta Stone online (from home) for free. It has a ton of different languages, including Latin, and assumes you have no prior knowledge of the language. I didn't take to it, but since it could be free, it's at least worth looking into.
The lists:

cantator
Textkit Fan

Post by cantator »

edonnelly wrote:For Linux, there's a relatively analogous program called KLatin (for KDE):

http://edu.kde.org/klatin/index.php

It tests you on forms, vocabulary, etc.
Hey, thanks a lot ! I've been looking for language study software for Linux, do you have any other suggestions ? Greek, Latin, and Italian are my focus points, so I'm especially interested in software for those languages.

Btw, the Latin programs from the White Trash Scriptorium work very nicely with recent versions of WINE :

http://www.ipa.net/~magreyn/

Handy stuff. :)
Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

edonnelly wrote:For Linux, there's a relatively analogous program called KLatin (for KDE): http://edu.kde.org/klatin/index.php
That is wicked cool. I've bookmarked it. I wonder if DH would mind if I installed this on his computer... :?
edonnelly wrote:Also, it's a long-shot, but you may want to check your library. Mine has a deal where anyone can access Rosetta Stone online (from home) for free.
I hadn't thought of that. I couldn't find any at my library's website (http://www.sfpl.org/), maybe I'm just not doing the right search. I'll have to stop by and ask someone. It's really cool that your library offers this. I've seen their kiosks at the mall, they offer many languages to choose from.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

mariek wrote:
edonnelly wrote:For Linux, there's a relatively analogous program called KLatin (for KDE): http://edu.kde.org/klatin/index.php
That is wicked cool. I've bookmarked it. I wonder if DH would mind if I installed this on his computer... :?
If it's a linux computer running KDE it may already have been installed by default.
mariek wrote:It's really cool that your library offers this.
I actually belong to two libraries -- one in the city where I live and the other in the neighboring city where I work. The second one offers free access to netlibrary.com, which has tons of audiobooks -- including basically all of the Pimsleur programs. It's not so good for latin and ancient greek (not offered), but I've started in on some "real" languages. I think this trend to offer these kinds of services through public libraries is great.
The lists:

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

edonnelly wrote:If it's a linux computer running KDE it may already have been installed by default.
Bummer... I've just discovered that we're running Gnome, not KDE. I suppose I could always set up a new computer (or my current one) to run Kubuntu...
The second one offers free access to netlibrary.com, which has tons of audiobooks -- including basically all of the Pimsleur programs. It's not so good for latin and ancient greek (not offered), but I've started in on some "real" languages. I think this trend to offer these kinds of services through public libraries is great.

I just took a lookie and my library has netlibrary. Yay! I did a search and found some Pimsleur in more current languages.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

mariek wrote: I just took a lookie and my library has netlibrary. Yay! I did a search and found some Pimsleur in more current languages.
The bad news is that they require you to use Windows Media Player (because it has the DRM security encoded). But, considering these courses are like $350 per level (with 3 levels for the more popular languages) it's worth biting the bullet on (I'm an Ubuntu user, too, but I have no choice but to use Windows for these).
The lists: