Q. for those who use/used Lingua Latina for self-study...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Q. for those who use/used Lingua Latina for self-study...

Post by LisaNYork »

I am currently moving quickly (so far) through the D'ooge text. (I'm up to Lesson XXXIII. I'm not a big fan of standard grammar/translation texts, but I like this one. However, my old brain gets tired at times.

To approach the grammar from a different angle, I thought I'd read through LL and use a standard g/t text to explain the grammar points.

For those who have used Lingua Latina, how does that sound?

Thanks!
Lisa

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Well, I'm only up to chapter 8 of Lingua Latina, but I think you should use D'ooge sparingly. My experience with "Collar and Daniel" (a standard grammar text) ended kinda sour, because on top of the many rules you have to memorize, they give you, at the end, a reading section filled with many exceptions and locutions that don't make sense. When you get there, you realize your progress was not natural, as the reading is not natural. As much as I wanted to read latin like I read Spanish, I just couldn't do it. Lingua Latina, on the other hand, starts right off with the stories, which by being repetitive, stick better in the noodle. Pair the stories with the exercises, which far outnumber those in "Collar and Daniel", and you got yourself an excelent study material.

(As an aside note: I used to study the on-line Cambridge Course, which is similar to Lingua Latina, but they are now temporarily suspending activities due to the stupidity of politics. If and when their site is up and running, you can visit them at: http://www.cambridgescp.com/act_now.php )

Vale!
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LisaNYork »

Hi Amadeus!

I just spoke w/someone I have great respect for in the Latin world.
He told me to go for it - so I am!

Thank you for your encouraging reply. It is very helpful!

You said:
When you get there, you realize your progress was not natural, as the reading is not natural.

I say: Exactly!

I am finding that working through LL helps me to retain the grammar concepts that I learn. It puts them in context, which is very helpful.
Some who are not familiar w/Oerberg think that he does not cover grammar. He does cover it at the end of each Cap., and in the student book - Latine Disco. I am finding his explanations to be adequate. If and when I run into problems, I can consult D'ooge, or one of the other g/t texts.

Thanks again! :D

Lisa

mfranks
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mfranks »

Hey Amadeus,

How far are you in the Cambridge Course? I'm in the middle of Unit 3 of the text myself. I too use both LL and CLC... I think that they complement each other well and use more natural approaches to the language.

I agree with your assessment of using Collar & Daniell. I've also experienced this with Ullman & Henry. Both these text are from the 19th century. Even though I've read through Chapter 22 in LL and Stage 27 in Unit 3 of CLC, I have trouble translating passages as early as lesson XII - that's only 49 pages into the book - I feel sorry for the young chaps who had to suffer through these texts. Then again, they probably were just better prepared to tackle the difficulty of the Latin material than me.

How long have you been studying?

Cheers,

Mark

mfranks
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mfranks »

Hey LisaNYork,

If you are not strapped for cash, you may want to invest in Unit 1 of the Cambridge Latin Course. If you like it as well as I do, you'll buy the other Units in no time. Also, the Audio CD's are excellent. I listen to them on my commute back and forth to work.

I did a review on Amazon that you may want to read:

The Cambridge Latin Course Review

Regards,

Mark

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LisaNYork »

mfranks wrote:Hey LisaNYork,

If you are not strapped for cash, you may want to invest in Unit 1 of the Cambridge Latin Course. If you like it as well as I do, you'll buy the other Units in no time. Also, the Audio CD's are excellent. I listen to them on my commute back and forth to work.

I did a review on Amazon that you may want to read:

The Cambridge Latin Course Review

Regards,

Mark
Hi Mark!

Thank you for the info. I read your review - very helpful!

I do plan on getting a copy of Cambridge sometime this month. I like working from various sources. I've got quite a collection of Latin materials. :)
I noticed that your review was under the paperback version. I didn't realize it came that way. I thought it was only avail in hb.

Lisa

mfranks
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mfranks »

LisaNYork wrote: Hi Mark!

I do plan on getting a copy of Cambridge sometime this month. I like working from various sources. I've got quite a collection of Latin materials. :)
I noticed that your review was under the paperback version. I didn't realize it came that way. I thought it was only avail in hb.

Lisa
Hey Lisa:

You should see my collection of Latin books! :-) I hope I live long enough to enjoy them all! Failing this, I hope my children develop an interest in Latin later in life and come to appreciate them...

Yes, you can purchase the paperback version which is reasonably priced at $19.99.

Do yourself a favor and order your copy direct from Cambridge. If I remember correctly, they don't charge tax. However, their distribution center for N.A. is in New York state which means you might be taxed in this case - if your alias is any indication of where you are living.

Here's the direct link to purchase:

http://www.cambridge.org/us/education/l ... onents.asp

Enjoy!

Mark

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

mfranks wrote:Hey Amadeus,

How far are you in the Cambridge Course? I'm in the middle of Unit 3 of the text myself. I too use both LL and CLC... I think that they complement each other well and use more natural approaches to the language.
I left off at book 3. Since I was having trouble learning online (due to work related matters), I decided to order Lingua Latina presto! Today, I'm only following LL. Too bad, as I was getting fond of Quintus and Cogidubnus et alii. :cry: But, hey, there's another Quintus in LL.

How long have you been studying?

Cheers,

Mark

Studying latin? Well, since June of last year, and I'm dying to enter the Agora and actually communicate in latin!!! But that seems a long way away.

Vale! :D
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LisaNYork »

mfranks wrote:

Lisa
Hey Lisa:

You should see my collection of Latin books! :-) I hope I live long enough to enjoy them all! Failing this, I hope my children develop an interest in Latin later in life and come to appreciate them...

Yes, you can purchase the paperback version which is reasonably priced at $19.99.

Do yourself a favor and order your copy direct from Cambridge. If I remember correctly, they don't charge tax. However, their distribution center for N.A. is in New York state which means you might be taxed in this case - if your alias is any indication of where you are living.

Enjoy!

Mark
Thank you, Mark!

I was planning on ordering it directly from Cambridge.

And yes, I am from New York. :)

Lisa

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LisaNYork »

mfranks wrote:

Lisa
Hey Lisa:

Enjoy!

Mark
Thank you, Mark!

I was planning on ordering it directly from Cambridge.

And yes, I am from New York. :)

Lisa