Medieval Latin Sigla, Ligatures, Diacritics, etc...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Medieval Latin Sigla, Ligatures, Diacritics, etc...

Post by Chris Weimer »

Anyone familiar with all the sigla, ligatures, diacritics, etc... of the Magna Carta?

1. The elongated "a" in gra[cia] and the little & above it (the familiar ampersand - doesn't look like the Latin ligature for "et" nor does "et" fit in anywhere)

2. The 7 between Norm[anniae] and Aquit[anniae] - well, some may not draw their sevens like that, but I do

3. I'm supposing the "3" at the end Abb[a]tib3 is a ligature for "us" (abbatibus) (edited: it actually looks more like the IPA symbol Ê’)

4. The -e in Hib[er]nie is, I suppose the shortened form of -ae; Hiberniae. Odd that the online transcription should give us thus Anglie, Hibernie, Normannie etc... (yeah, I know

As I go through the Magna Carta, I'll give more oddities as I see them.

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

I also need information about the Magna Carta itself. For example, I have a reprint of it from Lincoln University, and it appears to differ in some minor places than the one at the British Museum. Which version is superior?

Kerastes
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Medieval Latin Sigla, Ligatures, Diacritics, etc...

Post by Kerastes »

Chris Weimer wrote:Anyone familiar with all the sigla, ligatures, diacritics, etc... of the Magna Carta?
I'll have a look if you can point me to a facsimile. I have some experience with medieval manuscript reading but I'm not an expert.
2. The 7 between Norm[anniae] and Aquit[anniae] - well, some may not draw their sevens like that, but I do
That could be an "et" (ampersand). It's a recognized variant.
3. I'm supposing the "3" at the end Abb[a]tib3 is a ligature for "us" (abbatibus) (edited: it actually looks more like the IPA symbol Ê’)
I think that's where the IPA symbol came from. The handwritten form of "z" is based on it.
4. The -e in Hib[er]nie is, I suppose the shortened form of -ae; Hiberniae. Odd that the online transcription should give us thus Anglie, Hibernie, Normannie etc... (yeah, I know
That's easy. Long "e" is a medieval spelling of classical "ae" which long since by then was pronounced the same, like French "ê". That's very common, as is "e" for "oe".

Kerastes

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

Kerastes wrote:
Chris Weimer wrote:Anyone familiar with all the sigla, ligatures, diacritics, etc... of the Magna Carta?
I'll have a look if you can point me to a facsimile. I have some experience with medieval manuscript reading but I'm not an expert.
I have a reprint from Lincoln, but you can view it online here.
That could be an "et" (ampersand). It's a recognized variant.
Yeah, I noticed that it had to be an "et" after I posted this per other places it appears.
I think that's where the IPA symbol came from. The handwritten form of "z" is based on it.
I did not know that. Interesting.

Any idea about the ampersand looking character above gra[cia]? Edited: actually, for some reason, my copy has that character, but the one hosted at the British Library doesn't. Odd.

Also, I don't suppose you would have any information anywhere about which manuscript was superior?

Kerastes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kerastes »

Chris Weimer wrote:Any idea about the ampersand looking character above gra[cia]?
Not sure.
Also, I don't suppose you would have any information anywhere about which manuscript was superior?
Ah, you're looking for a critical commentary or apparatus criticus. You may be familiar with the concept of constructing a stemma. Based on scribal variants and errors it is possible to relate manuscripts like members of a family, even to reconstructing what lost prototypes may have been like. Then through provenance, antiquity, or internal consistency you can determine which manuscript is best.

I don't know anything about that for the Magna Charta. My field is Renaissance music. But my first two moves are usually Google and a nearby academic library.

Kerastes

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

Hey Kerastes,

Yes, I'm well aware of what a critical apparatus is. Heck, I've been working on one for the Gospel of Matthew for quite some time, and I was going to do one for Juvenal, but unfortunately I've been unable to acquire several needed books (far more expensive than anything Biblical). I hadn't even the foggiest clue about the Magna Carta - would such a short document with a very recent history have an extensive one? I'd probably be better off merely collecting pictures of the different manuscripts - there can't be that many, can there?

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

À propos of all this, could someone clarify for me the pronunciation in Ecclesiastical Latin of something like "Africae"?
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

Lucus Eques wrote:À propos of all this, could someone clarify for me the pronunciation in Ecclesiastical Latin of something like "Africae"?
The -ae dwindled down to merely -e in Medieval and Ecclesiastical Latin.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

And thus the pronunciation of 'c'?

C'è un italiano che mi possa aiutare forse?

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

The C changed depending on where the change took place, AFAIK. It was different from Spain to Germany and everwhere in between. I believe that the Latin in England was more or less pronounced the same as the Latin in Norman France. So the C would generally be hard before A, O, and U and soft like an S before E and I.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Chris Weimer wrote: 3. I'm supposing the "3" at the end Abb[a]tib3 is a ligature for "us" (abbatibus) (edited: it actually looks more like the IPA symbol Ê’)
I think this Ê’ can stand for any word ending. I already saw an "atqÊ’" standing for "atque". The proper abbreviation for "us" is a sort of inverted "c" (a "c" looking backwards), written above the line.

In turn, such an inverted "c", but bigger, at the beginning of a word, stands for "CON-".

A kind of little tilde above a letter stands effectively for a "m" or a "n". A line above a set of letters can also indicate an abbreviated word, e. g. dns with a line above is for Dominus

Moreover, a sort of "4" at the end of a word stands for the ending "-rum". There are also abbreviations for "per" "prae" and "pro" based on the letter "p" with little ornaments added.

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

Thanks Skylax for the information. I just bought a book about medieval Latin, but unfortunately doesn't contain anything on manuscripts or the sort.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Some frequent abbreviations.

As you see in sanctus, a sort of ampersand can only indicate an abbreviated word.

I read that the Ê’ can stand for "m" at the end of a word or for "-ue" or "-que".

Hope this helps. :)

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

I cut the little symbol out of the Magna Carta. This is from the Lincoln Cathedral manuscript. What is that thing?

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LisaNYork »

Chris Weimer wrote:The C changed depending on where the change took place, AFAIK. It was different from Spain to Germany and everwhere in between. I believe that the Latin in England was more or less pronounced the same as the Latin in Norman France. So the C would generally be hard before A, O, and U and soft like an S before E and I.
Really?

The pronunciation guide that I have states that "c" in ecclesiastical is pronounced "ch" before the E or I sound.

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

Ecclesiastical Latin in Italian for sure. I think it differed among places, but then again, I'm no expert in this area. And yes, "sound" is more accurate - it also softened with ae and I think oe also, although I can't think of an instance of c + oe offhand anyway.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Chris Weimer wrote:I cut the little symbol out of the Magna Carta. This is from the Lincoln Cathedral manuscript. What is that thing?

Nothing, I think, at least at this place. The text reads only .Io[hann]es Dei gra[tia]... "John by the grace of God" (King &c.) Maybe could you find the same symbol elsewhere ?