illa anim?lia

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Post Reply
User avatar
nostos
Textkit Enthusiast
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:30 am
Location: Montréal, QC

illa anim?lia

Post by nostos » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:52 am

How can anyone not love a book that teaches like this (as opposed to the genitive of rubric and sphere)?

'Canis herbam n?n ēst, neque p?stor herbam ēst. Cibus p?st?ris est p?nis, quī inest in sacc?. Iūlius p?st?rī su? cibum dat. P?stor canī su? cibum dat: canis ? p?st?re cibum accipit. Itaque canis p?st?rem amat' :lol:

I will pay a dear academic price for spending this weekend on Latin instead of dogwork. So be it; the animals come next! (pinche doble sentido que ni esperaba) I’m tired and should go to bed.

User avatar
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot
Posts: 2019
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:52 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Contact:

Post by Lucus Eques » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:42 pm

Macte. :-)
L. Amadeus Ranierius

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot
Posts: 718
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:29 pm
Location: nanun Hanguge issoyo (in Korea sum)
Contact:

Post by bellum paxque » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:58 pm

I remember that chapter pretty well. In fact, I know exactly where I was when I read it: still drowsy after sleeping in late, recumbens in lecto, as comfortable as could be at a friend's house, on break, reading Latin.

-David

PS - On behalf of the genitive of rubric and sphere, the term would go nicely in goofy science fiction: "Sir! Is that the Genitive of Rubric and Sphere on the viewscreen!?" "By the Fiends of Passive Periphrasis...! All shields up, and move to red alert!"

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:28 am

Post by LisaNYork » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:25 pm

bellum paxque wrote: -David

PS - On behalf of the genitive of rubric and sphere, the term would go nicely in goofy science fiction: "Sir! Is that the Genitive of Rubric and Sphere on the viewscreen!?" "By the Fiends of Passive Periphrasis...! All shields up, and move to red alert!"
LOL!

User avatar
fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:55 am

Post by fierywrath » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:16 pm

as Lucus no doubt noticed, est can not have a direct object. incidentally, that is why not everyone can love such a book.
phpbb

User avatar
nostos
Textkit Enthusiast
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:30 am
Location: Montréal, QC

Post by nostos » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:25 pm

fierywrath wrote:as Lucus no doubt noticed, est can not have a direct object. incidentally, that is why not everyone can love such a book.
yes, it can. As you no doubt did not notice, 'Ä“st' is taken directly from the Indo-European root ED. The alternate form of 'Ä“st' is 'edit'.

User avatar
fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:55 am

Post by fierywrath » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:28 pm

before correcting me about direct objects, you might want to think about what you are saying. is herbam receiving the action of eating or is it merely affected by the action? when you have come to your senses you will realise that est can NOT have a direct object because a canis can not eat HERBAM.
phpbb

User avatar
nostos
Textkit Enthusiast
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:30 am
Location: Montréal, QC

Post by nostos » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:31 pm

fierywrath wrote:before correcting me about direct objects, you might want to think about what you are saying. is herbam receiving the action of eating or is it merely affected by the action? when you have come to your senses you will realise that est can NOT have a direct object because a canis can not eat HERBAM.
Which is precisely why it is non est: because the dog does not eat grass.

User avatar
fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:55 am

Post by fierywrath » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:35 pm

but by making herbam the direct object you are implying that he COULD eat it but does not want to. but canis can NOT eat herbam. its better to just leave herbam out or else put it in to a more appropriate case!
phpbb

User avatar
nostos
Textkit Enthusiast
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:30 am
Location: Montréal, QC

Post by nostos » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:39 pm

fierywrath wrote:but by making herbam the direct object you are implying that he COULD eat it but does not want to. but canis can NOT eat herbam. its better to just leave herbam out or else put it in to a more appropriate case!
This is precisely the method of teaching through context. Until you have read the book, I recommend that you do not judge.

Dogs can eat grass (and often do) to vomit.

User avatar
fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:55 am

Post by fierywrath » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:48 pm

I give up. You are wrong.
phpbb

User avatar
nostos
Textkit Enthusiast
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:30 am
Location: Montréal, QC

Post by nostos » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:50 pm

fierywrath wrote:I give up. You are wrong.
:lol:

User avatar
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot
Posts: 2019
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:52 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Contact:

Post by Lucus Eques » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:01 pm


L. Amadeus Ranierius

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

User avatar
fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:55 am

Post by fierywrath » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:43 pm

Lucus Eques wrote:
You are wrong.
In the English first person singular, the pronoun is "I," and the verb "to be," which is irregular, is conjugated here as "am." You mean to say, "I am wrong."
You is wrong.
phpbb

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:28 am

Post by LisaNYork » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:59 pm

nostos wrote:
fierywrath wrote:as Lucus no doubt noticed, est can not have a direct object. incidentally, that is why not everyone can love such a book.
yes, it can. As you no doubt did not notice, 'Ä“st' is taken directly from the Indo-European root ED. The alternate form of 'Ä“st' is 'edit'.
Hence the macron over the "e"? - to distinguish it from est (he, she, it is)?

Correct?

User avatar
nostos
Textkit Enthusiast
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:30 am
Location: Montréal, QC

Post by nostos » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:06 pm

LisaNYork wrote:Hence the macron over the "e"? - to distinguish it from est (he, she, it is)?

Correct?
The short answer: Yes :)

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:28 am

Post by LisaNYork » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:34 pm

Fierywrath, you are confusing me here. You start out by saying that "est" cannot have a direct object. That is true. But then you seem to ignore the fact that you misread the post and didn't notice the macron over the "e", which makes that particular verb not a "to be" verb, but the verb "eats".
You go on to argue about what dogs can/can't eat.

Can you please clarify what your original point was, because it got "lost in translation" - no pun intended (I think).

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot
Posts: 718
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:29 pm
Location: nanun Hanguge issoyo (in Korea sum)
Contact:

Post by bellum paxque » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:38 pm

If I followed this thread correctly, fierywrath missed the macron on the e. When Lucus pointed this out, he realized he had lost the war but resolved to win the battle, if possible. The rest of the argument, I think, was facetious.

-David

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:28 am

Post by LisaNYork » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:30 pm

Thanks for clarifying, David. That sounds like what happened. :?

Post Reply