The Third Declension

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Re:The Beautiful Third Declension

Post by Elucubrator »

Sorry, I couldn't vote because no choice was given in the poll to categorise the beautiful third declension. Just because something is difficult doesn't make it evil. Personally, I love the variety of stems that exist in the third declension and the consequent variety in sounds that it makes possible for the poet who is writing in the language.<br /><br />Without the third declension, the beauty of Latin would only be a pale shade of what we know. Imagine the alternative: remove from Vergil every word of the third declension. Almost all nouns and adjectives modifying them now share the same endings and the same sound. <br /><br />To see the effect this would have had on the modern Romance languages, you must remove every word from these which had its origin in the third declension. <br /><br />The possibility even of this thought frightens me. If it were the case we would not know the rich beauty of the languages which we enjoy today, and what a let down that would be.<br /><br />Write me into the list of Partisans of the 3rd Declension,<br /><br />Sebastian<br /><br /><br />PD If you want all the endings to be the same why not learn Esperanto instead? LOL <br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Re:The Third Declension

Post by Episcopus »

That same-ending tongue sounds tempting.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Go Seba!
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

:o<br />am i really the only one who absolutly hates the 3rd declension?!<br />come on... english is much easier than latin (though french is much more difficult i think, or maybe it's just me... hate how they don't pronounce half of the word :P).<br /><br />the third declension is not beautiful in my opinion but really terrrrrible! ;)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I haven't started learning the third declension yet, but it does seem a tad frightening...I"m sure it will resolve itself once I start learning it. ;) <br /><br />Keesa

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Ohh learning was no problem, the problem is the forgetting and the mixing up :-P<br />But you seem to be so enthusiastic; I don't think you'll have much trouble. It’s when you’re forced to learn the 3rd declension and outside there's bright sunshine and your 13 years old and want to go to the skate park or the swimming baths...<br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Yeeess, I can see that. Understanding comes much more easily, I think, when you do it voluntarily. Only one more of the reasons why I love homeschooling! Outside of that core curriculum that the government insists on, everything I've learned, I learned by choice...and it's stuck. Probably I would have hated Latin and Greek and Classics and even Reading, if I'd had to do them. <br /><br />Now, if only the government would make higher mathematics optional! ;D<br /><br />Keesa

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

homeschooling is not very common at all where i live. the only person i know who was homeschooled, was my cousin and that was only junior school. he's now going to a technical school in bristol, which is a new sort of state elite school. <br /><br />where are you from? america? i know quite a few people on the internet from america, who were homeschooled, seems to be more normal there.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Reply posted in open forum. <br /><br />Keesa

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

(should i restart latin???)<br /><br />reg+s > rex<br /><br />and revising the formula to -s, -is, -i, -em, -e ; ...<br /><br />may penitentiate(is it english?) the devil?

Bovulus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bovulus »

Enough talk! The People's Army marches forward!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

It's really nice to see that so many people enjoy the Third Declension. I haven't gotten to it yet (I haven't been able to study Latin for the past three days! :'() but I'm glad that, when I do, it will be pleasant. <br /><br />Keesa