help for a flounder

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

help for a flounder

Post by Deudeditus » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:30 pm

well ashamedly I say that my studies have fallen behind. cessatione mea studiis cecidi, ergo i've decided that i need to catch up. and this sentence gave me a little trouble, especially in the second part.

Feminae pulchrae viros miseros e provincia romana ad amicum oppidum cum magna mittunt ne incolae provinciae esse videantur.
The beautiful women send the miserable men from the roman province to a friendly city (along) with a great crowd that the inhabitants wouldn't seem to be...
or
the beautiful women send the wretched men from the roman province to a friendly city with a large crowd (turba oppidi amici, non provinciae) so they (miseri) wouldn't seem to be inhabitants of the (roman) province.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:21 pm

The second seems pretty good to me. "ne incolae prouinciae esse uideantur," so they wouldn't seem like inhabitants of the province. Yeah, you got it.
L. Amadeus Ranierius

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:17 pm

Thanks. I have another one, too. during class I found this one a bit troubling. :?
Periculum regno magnum filiis li:berorum videtur.

regno, i'm assuming is in the dative or ablative, as is filiis liberorum.is regno, since it's between periculum and magnum, a dative of posession?

the king's great danger is apparent to the children of the free.
" " is seen by the children of the free (in which case, I thought that 'ab/a' would be required if it was indeed an ablative of personal agent.

by the way, did 'cessatione mea studiis cecidi...' make sense?

fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fierywrath » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:53 pm

the danger to the kingdom seems great to the free mens sons
phpbb