How do you type a macron on this system?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
blutoonwithcarrotandnail
Textkit Fan

How do you type a macron on this system?

Post by blutoonwithcarrotandnail »

What is the button to push to put a line over a letter on this system such as the letter u?

Thanks.

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

This is the last one, k? :)

I type them in code: http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/latin_extended_a.html

So, for example, u with macron would be & # 363 ; (of course, without the spaces)

Maybe someone else has a better way to do it?
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

mfranks
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mfranks »

Another way you can do this, if you are using Windows, is the following:

Use Character Map to copy and paste special characters into your documents.

Open Character Map by clicking on Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Character Map.

Next you can filter to the "macroned" characters by selecting the the "advanced view" checkbox and then typing "with macron" in the "Search for:" field. Next click the "Search Button" and all the macroned charactors will appear.

Keep this map open when you are typing and when you need a "macroned" character you can simply select it from the map and copy it into the document.

Hope this helps,

Mark

TADW_Elessar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TADW_Elessar »

I use Mozilla Firefox, and I type all characters (ī, ?, ě...) with the super abcTajpu extension