Viz. aut viz?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Viz. aut viz?

Post by Michaelyus »

Which is the correct abbreviation for videlicet?

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Whether capitalized or lowercase, you mean? I don't think it matters in particular.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

I use viz all the time and never thought about it. I don't think it matters, but I always use lowercase.

mraig
Textkit Member

Post by mraig »

Or do you mean: should it have a period after it or not? If that is your question, I think either is acceptable, but the period is maybe a bit more proper.

fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fierywrath »

Viz is more proper than viz., as any great intellect would know (the 'z' standing for the letters 'et', making it a contraction rather than an abbreviation)

mraig
Textkit Member

Post by mraig »

I may not be a "great intellect", but:

1. The Oxford English Dictionary lists the form as "viz." with the period.

2. A contraction is of more than one word, and replaces the missing letters with an apostrophe (e.g. have not -> haven't). Viz. is the abbreviation of a single word: 'videlicet'. Although the letters left out are from the middle instead of the end, I am unaware of any rule requiring that such abbreviations not end with a period; I would write Mr. for 'mister'; Mrs. for 'mistress'. Some modern style guides (particularly in England) have taken to dropping almost all periods after abbreviations, in which case the question is moot anyway.

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

2. A contraction is of more than one word, and replaces the missing letters with an apostrophe (e.g. have not -> haven't). Viz. is the abbreviation of a single word: 'videlicet'. Although the letters left out are from the middle instead of the end, I am unaware of any rule requiring that such abbreviations not end with a period; I would write Mr. for 'mister'; Mrs. for 'mistress'. Some modern style guides (particularly in England) have taken to dropping almost all periods after abbreviations, in which case the question is moot anyway.
whiteoctave informed this forum a few weeks ago that, in England, it is incorrect to write Mr., Mrs., and the like with periods. These, he explained, are not abbreviations but rather...some other term that I don't remember, since letters are dropped from the middle and not from the end. Having lived in England for the last four months (only recently returned), I can verify this standard, though I don't know how old it is. Of course, this doesn't help much with videlicet.

-David

mraig
Textkit Member

Post by mraig »

bellum paxque wrote:
whiteoctave informed this forum a few weeks ago that, in England, it is incorrect to write Mr., Mrs., and the like with periods. These, he explained, are not abbreviations but rather...some other term that I don't remember, since letters are dropped from the middle and not from the end. Having lived in England for the last four months (only recently returned), I can verify this standard, though I don't know how old it is. Of course, this doesn't help much with videlicet.

-David
By this rule it DOES help with videlicet; since 'viz' is videlicz (z=et) with the middle letters removed, the proper British way of doing it would be without a period. However, since I myself am American and not British, and since we have no such rule of which I am aware, I will go on writing Mr. and viz. and so on.

Also, my understanding is that the British custom is moving towards doing away with periods (what do they call them - full stops?) altogether in abbreviations. See http://www.guardian.co.uk/styleguide/pa ... 44,00.html

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

I meant with a full stop/period or not...

I have continuously seen it with one, but I've been told it is more correct to use it without for the reason that the z is a sign of contraction. I was wondering for what is it a contraction.

fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fierywrath »

I already told you so scroll up and read my post until you get it.

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

Michaelyus wrote:I meant with a full stop/period or not...

I have continuously seen it with one, but I've been told it is more correct to use it without for the reason that the z is a sign of contraction. I was wondering for what is it a contraction.
Sorry, I had been wondering...