Latin dictionaries

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Amaranta
Textkit Neophyte

Latin dictionaries

Post by Amaranta » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:55 pm

It's long past time for me to have a Latin/English dictionary. Since this will likely be a resource I'll use for a long time, I'd like to get a very good one. So, anyone have a particular dictionary they love and would recommend?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:30 pm

I have Cassell's Latin dictionary (it's the one with the bright oarange cover) which isn't too shabby for a smal dictionary.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:33 pm

The "Elementary Latin Dictionary" edited by C.T. Lewis (Oxford University Press) is probably the best in my opinion. It not only goes into some depth with meanings but also gives examples from various Latin authors.

And it makes a handy doorstop :wink:
phpbb

Fabiola
Textkit Member

Post by Fabiola » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:43 pm

I have the Harper Collins Concise Latin Dictionary, which I really like (plus it includes a grammer section in the back). I tried the Oxford Student Desk Dictionary and didn't really care for it.
phpbb

TADW_Elessar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TADW_Elessar » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:52 am

Does anyone of you have an OLD (Oxford Latin Dictionary)?
phpbb

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:52 pm

I second the Casell's.
L. Amadeus Ranierius

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

mraig
Textkit Member

Post by mraig » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:29 pm

The Oxford Latin dictionary is simply indispensable if you plan to read any author outside The Canon. There are so many authors who use unusual words, or who use usual words in unusual ways that at some point, you will be driven to the OLD just to understand what is going on. But beyond that, the OLD is magnificently clear in its presentation (look at a word with several pages of entries in the OLD, and compare it to the old standard, the big Lewis & Short, and you'll see how important page formatting really is), thorough in its references and clear in its definitions. It does have a few shortcomings in etymology and vowel length and matters like that, but the only lexical work to top it is the TLL, which of course is incomplete and completely impractical for normal translation.

That said, the cost of the OLD is prohibitively expensive for some ($250, I believe). If you are not ready or able to make that kind of investment in Latin, I would probably recommend Cassell's Dictionary. If you plan on reading the major works of Virgil, Cicero, Ovid, Horace, Catullus, Caesar, Livy, Sallust, Tacitus, Plautus, Terrence, Seneca (the younger), Lucretius, or any of the other "major" authors of the late republic through the 2nd century AD, Cassell's will probably have every word you're looking, for and for the major major authors (Virgil, Horace, Ovid, Cicero, Caesar, etc.) it will probably even have every odd usage that might puzzle you.

TADW_Elessar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TADW_Elessar » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:37 pm

the cost of the OLD is prohibitively expensive for some ($250, I believe)
I have recently seen one on eBay for sale at 100 euros...
phpbb

Amaranta
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Amaranta » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:44 pm

Thanks, everyone!

I will probably go with Cassell's for now, since I'm a poor college student and pretty new to my studies of Latin.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:19 pm

TADW_Elessar wrote:Does anyone of you have an OLD (Oxford Latin Dictionary)?
I know Benissimus has it (the $250 one), I'm sure he'll chime in with his thoughts.

I'd love to get this, bu it's a bit pricey. :( (nevermind that I spent $1000 in one month on yarn...)

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Re: Latin dictionaries

Post by Democritus » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:39 am

I carried Cassell's around for years and years, till it finally fell apart. :)

Then I bought "the New College Latin and English Dictionary." The author of this book is John Traupman, the same guy who wrote Conversational Latin for Oral Proficiency.

Kerastes
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Latin dictionaries

Post by Kerastes » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:50 pm

Democritus wrote:I carried Cassell's around for years and years, till it finally fell apart. :)
Mine's starting to, but I got it used and keep it on a shelf nearby. I'm not terribly happy with it, but until I get the OLD, it'll have to do.
Then I bought "the New College Latin and English Dictionary." The author of this book is John Traupman, the same guy who wrote Conversational Latin for Oral Proficiency.
Oh I love that one! That's my favorite dictionary for carrying around. Fits inside the coat pocket, uses "j" for conconantal "i" (logically consistent that way), and so inexpensive I'm buying another one because my copy is falling apart.

Kerastes