Paragraph help please.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Mikethibodeau
Textkit Neophyte

Paragraph help please.

Post by Mikethibodeau »

Latin to English. Be VERY strict, this is very important. Thank you. I changed a few things by editing.

Germânî rêgês ex nôbilitâte, ducês ex virtûte legunt. Nec rêgibus înfinîta aut lîbera potestâs, et ducês exemplô potius quam imperiô agunt; sî ante aciem pugnant, admîrâtiône praesunt. effigiâsque et signa ex silvîs sacrîs in proelium portant. Ad mâtrês, ad coniugês vulnera portant; nec illae numerâre aut exigere plâgâs timent, cibôsque et hortâmina mîlitibus dant.

The Germans chose their kings out of nobility, they chose their leaders from virtue. Neither is the power from the king, unlimited or free and the leaders act by example rather then by power. If they fight forwards of the line of battle, they lead by admiration. They carry into battle images and signs out of the sacred forest. They carry their wounds and to their mothers and spouses; neither they fear to count or demand to see their wounds, they give the soldiers foods and words of encouragement.
Last edited by Mikethibodeau on Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

In kind of a rush, so I couldn't be too strict, but neither... nor is usually nec...nec i think.
I'm not sure, but I think ante usually referrs to temporal quality. good job.
gotta go :)
El Jon

Mikethibodeau
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mikethibodeau »

I am going to review this, I see a few things wrong, I will post again.

Blueness
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Blueness »

It looks pretty good to me. The first sentence might sound better with "from" instead of "out of". The second sentence I'm not sure about. I can't really make a lot of sense out of it. Maybe it's just the way it's worded.

I would like to see some other people's suggestions. Kinda testing myself here too. :)