help with a translation

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
amyb
Textkit Neophyte

help with a translation

Post by amyb »

hello
im after several opinions about the translation of the following:
Ama me fideliter, Fidem meam noto, Decorde totaliter, Et ex mente tota, Sum presentialiter, Absens in remota

i have a rough translation but would like confirmation:

Love me faithfully, See how I am faithful, With all my Heart, and all my Soul, I am with you, even though I am far away

any help would be gratefully recieved
amy

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

I don't think that sentence was written by someone who knew latin :) . Sounds like some kind of barbarous schoolboy Latin to me.
Ama me fideliter, Fidem meam noto, Decorde totaliter, Et ex mente tota, Sum presentialiter, Absens in remota
The first part is correct - "Love me faithfully".

The second part means "I note/observe my faith."

"De corde" means "(down from) the heart". "Totaliter" is a nonce word (evidence). If you want to say totally in Latin, they had a perfectly good word omnino, or perhaps penitus would do.

"Et ex mente tota" means "and (out of) my whole mind"

If "presentialiter" were a Latin word (it is not), it might mean something like "while present". Sum means "I am".

"Absens in remota" might be intended to mean something like away in a remote place.

As I say, I don't think any of this is real Latin, or even grammatically correct Latin. Presumably you noticed this in the signature of someone on a web forum. Why don't you ask them what they think it means ;-).

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

Turpissimus wrote: "Totaliter" is a nonce word (evidence).
A perfectly fine word in post-classical Latin, however. I can provide hundreds of exemples. Same goes, believe it or not, for presentialiter (I found with over 30 instances in this precise form). The meter and the presence of rhyme makes late Latin words suitable for this little composition. And it is quite clear that noto is supposed to rhyme with tota and remota. Scribal error, no doubt :)

But indeed, it probably was a schoolboy who wrote this. Medieval schoolboy, that is. Since this is Carmina Burana :)

http://www.sungwh.freeserve.co.uk/sapienti/carmina.htm
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I have to say, I got a chuckle out of this thread, but I also must admit that I was thinking some of the same things as you, Turpissime :lol:

I want to know how in Zeus's name they came up with that monstrous suffix pile-up on praesentialiter!
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

benissimus wrote:I want to know how in Zeus's name they came up with that monstrous suffix pile-up on praesentialiter!
Benissime, I have one word for you: pulchritudinous.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Parthenophilus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Parthenophilus »

I have one word for you: pulchritudinous
I have another word: honorificabilitudinitatibus

This occurs in Love's Labours Lost V, i, 44.

The genitive sing. is used by Albertino Mussato (early 14th cent.)

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

Parthenophilus wrote:
I have one word for you: pulchritudinous
I have another word: honorificabilitudinitatibus

This occurs in Love's Labours Lost V, i, 44.

The genitive sing. is used by Albertino Mussato (early 14th cent.)
Dante uses an Ablative:

honorificabilitudinitate.

In Nom. superincomprehensibilitas is equally long and attested in 11th century (Gerardus Moresenus). A much more useful word, to my taste. I urge everyone to use in in compositions.
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>