Cases

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Benedarius
Textkit Neophyte

Cases

Post by Benedarius »

The daughter || of the farmer || a ship .......|| to the lady || from the sailors || gives.
Nominative ...|| Gentive ........|| Accusative || Dative ......|| Ablative ...........|| verb

Would those above cases be right, and could someone complete the following, I dont understand Latin for Beginners description.

Nominative, the doer, subject;
Gentive, posessive;
Accusative, that to which it is done, direct object;
Dative, to from towards without action, indirect object;
Ablative, ??? & examples if possible and in English.

If that simplified view right?

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

salue Benedari

You seem to have a pretty good basic knowledge of the cases. Your distribution of the cases in your example looks good: why don't you give a try in Latin?

The list you have covers the basics - when you progress in your studies you'll find that the cases can be used for other purposes than the ones you mention.

But you don't have anything on the ablative yet. Let me mention three different functions: 1 - the ablative of means, 2 - ablative of separation, 3 - ablative of time.

Here are some examples:

1 - manu dextera tibi saluto - I greet you with my right hand. How do greet you? With what means do I do it? With my right hand. Therefore hand is used in the ablative.

2 - ex urbe eo - I walk out of the city. From whence do I walk? With what do I separate? The city. Therefore I use the ablative here: the preposition ex is always followed by the ablative.

3 - euigilo prima luce - I wake at dawn. When? At what time? At dawn. So I use the ablative (note: duration is expressed by the accusative).

Hope this helps :)

Magistra
Textkit Member

Post by Magistra »

Benedarius asked about this sentence.

The daughter || of the farmer || a ship .......|| to the lady || from the sailors || gives.
Nominative ...|| Gentive ........|| Accusative || Dative ......|| Ablative ...........|| verb
I agree with amans wholeheartily about what he/she posted; however I don't think your ablative question was directly answered.

It often seems to me that the Ablative case is the "none of the above" case. Most cases are very clear-cut as to what they represent. The Ablative seems to represent all of the other "stuff". A, ab usually represents "from, away from" or "by". "From the soldiers" represents the idea that the ship is going "away from" the sailors to the lady.

(Personal comment: What a ___ sentence! This makes sense in any context? How many farmers' daughters do anyone know who have given a ship to a lady from sailors who were probably slaves? Birthday present???)

Magistra[/quote]

Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Post by Aurelia »

:lol: Magistra...

My teacher taught me "by, with, from, in, on, at" for the ablative, even though there are other words that go with it like "against". just chant it and you'll get it! :D

Deccius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Deccius »

There's also the SID SPACE mneumonic device for the ablative case prepositions. Sub In De Sine Pro Ab Cum Ex

Magistra
Textkit Member

Post by Magistra »

in, on at, by, with, from

and "than" (with comparatives)

Magistra

Benedarius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Benedarius »

Thank ye for yere pearly words of wisdom. Yes, farmers daughters did sometimes take a ship for the sailors, which often had state input, and give it to their landlords, or slave masters wife for manumission. Never as a birthday present though.

Anyway, that has cleared things up for me.