I think I'm abandoning my learning of Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
JLatin1
Textkit Neophyte

I think I'm abandoning my learning of Latin

Post by JLatin1 » Fri May 13, 2005 11:36 pm

I've come to the point where after a year a Latin, I feel like wasting my time. My teacher really hasn't inspired me to want to learn the language. She almost seems kind of neutral about it. Not that Latin isn't a beautiful and interesting language, but there are other languages that I wish to focus on. These are at the present time, Spanish and Hebrew. I do not know whether or not I will learn a lot in Spanish class at school, but I will certainly go out of my way to try to get something out of the course.

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 » Sat May 14, 2005 12:11 am

Vale.
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Sat May 14, 2005 6:15 pm

Say it ain't so I will not go!

If you would desert Latin for Hebrew then I agree with your decision to leave this language :shock:
phpbb

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus » Sun May 15, 2005 1:58 am

How can anyone learn Latin who can't even speak/write his/her own language? If Jlatin1 "feels like wasting his time", let him do so. If Episcopus is a foreign speaker of English, I forgive his unintelligible sentence construction. Otherwise, perhaps he should put Latin and Swedish on hold? :(

Cheers,
Int

Sebastian Swift
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sebastian Swift » Sun May 15, 2005 2:11 am

Interaxus wrote:If Episcopus is a foreign speaker of English, I forgive his unintelligible sentence construction.
Unintelligible? Perhaps that monstrous chip on your shoulder is impairing your ability to read English.

yadfothgildloc
Textkit Member

Post by yadfothgildloc » Sun May 15, 2005 2:34 am

shalom aleichem, chever. v'gam, hasta la vista.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus » Sun May 15, 2005 3:35 am

Salve Sebastian,

Which chip are you referring to? Please explain "Say it ain't so I will not go". Is that a quote? Alsö, isn't "If you would desert" a bit antiquated?

Salve yadfothgildloc,

I think learning Hebrew is a great idea. Some fifteen years ago I learnt the rudiments of Arabic (a close relative) and recently I ordered a beginner's course in modern Hebrew from eBay but it hasn't arrived yet. As-salaam alay-kum!

Salve JLatin1,

Please excuse my temporary pique at someone leaving the fold. In fact, you give the most reasonable reason of all - an uninspired teacher. Mejor suerte la proxima vez!

Salve Episcope,
Stetson! Hypocrite lecteur! Mon semblable!

Int

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus » Sun May 15, 2005 10:50 am

Upon reflection, I see that my original comments were totally out of order. Sorry, all! :oops:

Int

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey » Sun May 15, 2005 12:54 pm

Hi, JLatin1!
I'll tell you something. My high school physucs teacher had succeeded in convincing most of the students physics was a dull and boring stuff. He also had a suffocating voice, say, he could suffocate you by just talking to you, even if you didn't understand him, or did understand him. And the lectures were already intolerable for this one thing, so the fact that the contents of the lectures lacked any inspiration hardly mattered.
But I enjoyed my physics study on my own and majored in physics in the college.
I just tell you this, but things are not all the same for everyone.
Vale!

JLatin1
Textkit Neophyte

I might do a little Latin independent study.

Post by JLatin1 » Mon May 16, 2005 10:06 pm

We'll see how things go. I might not abandon Latin completely, but maybe I will do an independent study in my spare time. Next year I'll probably be studying either Hebrew or Spanish in school or possibly both. That would mean 3 languages at a time. I think it's doable.