Hurry, hurry, hurry, this week only

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Hurry, hurry, hurry, this week only

Post by bingley »

According to the rogueclassicist
http://www.atrium-media.com/rogueclassi ... html#a5656

the BBC is broadcasting part of Pliny's Natural History in Latin. You can listen to it on the BBC website for a week.

FiliusLunae
Textkit Member

Post by FiliusLunae »

Wow, that is great.
I'm listening to it right now. I wish there were a way to save this audio. It is so cool!
Thanks! :wink:

Ioannes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ioannes »

But there is!

Activate "What u hear" (or "direct sound" -- this may require newer Directx drivers), and use an audio recorder, such as the one already installed on your hard drive.

sisyphus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sisyphus »

Ioannes wrote:"What u hear" (or "direct sound"
And where would i find these on The Abomination Known As Windows 98? :(
Ioannes wrote:use an audio recorder, such as the one already installed on your hard drive.
The only audio recorder installed on my machine is "Sound Recorder", which seems to allow recordings of up to one entire minute. :cry:

Parthenophilus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Parthenophilus »

Call me thick, but Ioannes' instructions are too cryptic to be any use to me.

Ioannes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ioannes »

Oh, sorry about that.

Try Freecorder 2.2.1.
It's freeware and easy to use.

Information:
http://www.soft32.com/download_26533.html

Direct link: http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/1450 ... rSetup.exe

Run the application, hit "settings", and choose "what u hear" from the line combo box under the "Sound & Audio Configuration" group box. Record.
(When "what u hear" is activated, all the sounds you hear from your headphones or speakers will be recorded.)

sisyphus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sisyphus »

Thankyou, Ioannes, for your reply. Sadly i can't get this to record anything at all, even from mic. Maybe i'll get time for another bash later.

i might have done better if i'd spent all this time listening to it :lol: .

Que sera ... oops, wrong forum (wrong country, wrong millenium; it's just been one of those days).

Cheers.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Hi Sisyphus,

I too had a problem getting Freecorder to work but I got there in the end.

When I started Freecorder and chose Settings and came to ‘Sound and Audio configuration’, I couldn’t find any ‘stereo mix’ (etc) to select. Finally, I discovered I had to set Windows first. To do this:

1. First go to Windows Control Panel (Either Start/Settings/Control Panel; or from My Computer on the desktop).
2 Select Sounds and Multimedia.
3. Select Audio.
4. Under Sound Playback/preferred device panel, click the button Volume.
5. In the Volume Control panel, click Options (at top left).
6. Select Properties from the drop-down menu.
7. Click the option button Recording.
8. In the list below, mark stereo mix.
9. Click OK
10. Curse Bill Gates.

After doing this I tried Freecorder again, chose Settings, and in the panel ‘Sound and Audio configuration’ I finally found the option ‘stereo mix’ to select. Then I could record that fun Pliny broadcast.

Any help? I realize this advice comes a bit late in the day, but it might help in the future.

Cheers,
Int

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Hi again,

Oops, I forgot to say. I got Freecorder to work in the manner described on my PC with Windows 2000. It failed miserably on my PC with Windows 98. Curse BG!

Cheers,
Int

sisyphus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sisyphus »

Interaxus,

My profound thanks for your response. Sadly ... i have everything ticked under "Recording", inc. "aux", "line" and "mixed output". This must be either a problem with my sound-card (i doubt it, i can record with other programs) or Win 98.

Even more frustrating is that i have five machines and a host of virtual machines at work with a good variety of Billware installed, but my company blocks streaming anything.

Never mind, and thanks again.

BTW, i understand there is a very popular recent film entitled "Kill Bill" :lol: (i haven't come across a smiley for "mania".)

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Sisyphus,

Bit late in the day (I've been busy with other things) but it struck me that I could email you my mp3 Pliny file if you're interested. It's only 9714 KB. I could also send you the 33 KB doc file with the text.

KB = Kill Bill?

Int

sisyphus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sisyphus »

Interaxus,

That would be great. There doesn't seem to be a way to include files with PMs, so i'll PM you my address.

Cheers.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Sisyphus,

My pleasure. (Now how would I say that in Latin? Libenter ... Mihi libet ... magna cum ...???)

Int

latinbeginsnow
Textkit Neophyte

Post by latinbeginsnow »

why doesn't some very nice person ;) just download it and upload a link for the rest of us computer illiterate people?

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Latinbeginsnow,

Upload it to where? To the Textkit site? But how? Best I can do so far is mail it to you as an attachment if you let me have your email address. Perhaps then you can upload it somewhere and provide a link for our buddies. :)

Int