help with latin phrase

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
johnCoburn
Textkit Neophyte

help with latin phrase

Post by johnCoburn »

I am unsure of the exact translation of "A Micus Viri, Vir Dei"
"From service to man, ??? man God???
Can anyone help?

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

Are you sure you've spelled it correctly. My dictionary, and that of Perseus, return nothing for micus.

Are you sure it's not: Amicus viri, vir dei?

That would mean A friend of man (is) a man of god.

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

a fine emendation, turps.

~D

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

speaking of emendations, the world will commend any man who can bring sense back to the following:

Cat.63.74-5:

roseis ut hinc labellis sonitus adiit
geminas deorum ad aures noua nuntia referens (thus V).

(this is no doubt a largely fruitless post, for most people won't have the slightest inclination to look at the sense, but nonetheless i make the post in the hope that some people wish to address the problem.)

the metre is galliambic:

uu-u-u--/uu-uuuux

various resolutions and contractions are possible. line 74 clearly lacks a pyrrhic, and Bentley's citus is typically taken after sonitus. the problems in the couplet come from hinc - it is unlikely to mean 'from him/her'. 'geminas...aures' cannot make sense when used of a group of gods, and ideally we would like to be talking about a single goddess (Cybele) here. what is the adiit doing (most people emend to abiit). with what should 'ad aures' go?

anyhow, for minds curious i leave the problem, unsolved by the last half a millenium of Classical scholarship.

~D

johnCoburn
Textkit Neophyte

Post by johnCoburn »

Yes, It probably was meant to be Amicus. The bronze plate into which this is cast has a definite space between the "A" and the "micus" which lead to my confusion. ( That and the fact that it has been many years since I studied Latin). So this old man has learned something and found an intersting diversion in this website. I appreciate the responses.
Take care and God bless,
jc