Veni Vidi Vici

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques » Wed May 25, 2005 3:10 am

benissimus wrote:This is a fairly old thread and since then I convinced myself (without whiteoctave's influence) that u is better for lower case and v for upper case. However, I don't care much for which is used - as long as people are not writing in Latin cursive or engraving style uncials they can never claim to be writing the proper way. Regardless, since the u of Latin cursive is a softening of v, it clearly says that at some point v or u was used in both cases (how else would it go through a softening?).
Hehe, certe, amice; solum iocabar. Indeed, I enjoy the use of 'V' for the majuscule myself (I have yet to alter my signature quote, in fact, for that very reason).
nonne david did he not ... ?
num ... he didn't ... did he?
I found both those connotations too strong for my liking, even though I did consider them; instead I opted for the simplest form of interrogative (that which is understood simply from tone of voice, or in this case, from the question mark), not requiring an interrogative particle.
L. Amadeus Ranierius

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS