Its been a while...request another translation

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Arcanium
Textkit Neophyte

Its been a while...request another translation

Post by Arcanium »

English to Latin

"Upon your lips dwells the meaning of my cause"

Arcanium
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Arcanium »

B
U
M
P

heh, no replies yet eh?

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

"tuis in labellis propositum meae causae sedet"

"meaning" is difficult to translate, latin doesn't seem to have a word for it as such. I've use propositum, which kind of indicates purpose/plan or something like that.

Anyway, don't go and give this to your girlfriend yet, wait for Benissimus to correct my mistakes first. :wink:
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

Mulciber
Textkit Member

Post by Mulciber »

The trouble with this is that I don't even understand the English version. This is a problem I often face when I am asked to do a translation. You have to know what it means before you can translate it.

It is not self evident what is meant by the words "meaning" and "cause". Elaborate, then somebody can have a crack at translating it.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Yes, I thought this was a little too vague as well. "meaning" and "cause" don't really describe anything unless by "cause" you mean your life's mission. If you don't let the translator know what the significance is in your mind, they are going to add it into the Latin and it may not be the meaning you intended.

p.s. - Kasper, there are no grammatical errors in your translation ;)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Arcanium
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Arcanium »

ahhh indeed i should have indicated the purpose of tehse words...ok..."the meaning of my cause" means basically the essence of my purpose...or life
hopefully that should help