need help with aeneid 3 translation

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
littlewoy
Textkit Neophyte

need help with aeneid 3 translation

Post by littlewoy »

damn virgil is hard :(

150/151: visi ante oculos astare iacentis in somnis multo manifesti lumine,

I saw (them) standing before my eyes having been thrown into my dreams?? with a lot of clear light???

157: nos tumidum sub te permensi classibus aequor

we have traversed across the swollen sea with the fleet under you??

159: tu moenia magnis magna para longumque fugae ne linque suasit.

you must prepare big city walls for this greatness (magnis??) and not abandon the long toil of exile??

165: Oenotri coluere viri; nunc fama minores Italiam dixisse ducis de nomine gentem:

The men of Oenotrus cultivates it; now the descendants of that race (what's fama??) have called their nation Italy after the name of their leader.

167: hae nobis propriae sedes

this seat is our own to us??

173: sed coram agnoscere vultus velatasque comas praesentiaque ora videbar.

but i seemed to be in their presence (coram or praesentia??) to recognise their faces and their hair having been covered??
what's ora doing???

176ff: corripio e stratis corpus tendoque supinas
ad caelum cum uoce manus et munera libo
intemerata focis. perfecto laetus honore
Anchisen facio certum remque ordine pando.

Leaping out of bed (what's corpus doing??) I raise my hands facing upwards to the sky with my voice and I offer a pure sacrifice at the hearths. with the honours completed (perfecto honore) i made for anchises (facio anchisen) and i recited the things in the correct order??

thnks guys.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

littlewoy, your cries for help have not gone unanswered! I just wrote a long response to this and when I clicked the post button the forum asked me for my sign-in info. I put my info in and it went back to my post and it was all GONE. I will help you later littlewoy, when I retype it all again. You are not forgotten (I am so annoyed... :x )
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

benissimus wrote:...when I clicked the post button the forum asked me for my sign-in info. I put my info in and it went back to my post and it was all GONE.
I think this happens so that if you forget to log off the server will timeout and log you off automatically.

If it happens a "trick" is to not log in the second time but use the back button to get to the edit post screen which should still have your post intact on it. Copy the whole post to the clipboard and then hit the "submit" button. You will be asked to long in again and get the empty post edit screen but now you can paste in your message.

Another that seems to prevent it is to preview the post often but you have to be careful not to hit the post button. Of course you can still edit

The timeout seems to be around 5 minutes.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I've never had this problem before so I didn't know it would do that :( I usually stay logged in but this time I'm on someone else's computer. I guess I'll copy my posts first in these situations.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae