I need another translation...benissimus? hehe

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Arcanium
Textkit Neophyte

I need another translation...benissimus? hehe

Post by Arcanium »

this is kinda like a paragraph.

"My love for you is unconditional and undying. I would wish nothing about you to be changed, as you are perfect in my eyes. I would do anything for you, even run through the gates of hell itself. Would you spend the rest of your life with me?"

any help would be fine...her textbook says benissimus is a pro latin-translator, so i guess i'm looking to him moreso. thanks! by the way ben, thanks, i thought it would be kinda sweet to do for her...it sucks they don't offer latin as a major down in california...but it is true that it applies to no carreer other than professor of latin. :P

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Pretty tired right now, I will do it tomorrow so I don't make any dumb mistakes. I'm not the best around here by the way, just the most omnipresent of them ;) And I have to know, how can a textbook be saying all these things about me? Surely these sentences are not coming out of a textbook, and textbooks can't talk :?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Arcanium
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Arcanium »

the texbook states that certain words when strung together would look a certain way
so far its right
and actually my phrases are so cliche some of them she did find in the textbook. i got away with it though because i dont take latin./ i dont own the text. i just want to learn it.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: I need another translation...benissimus? hehe

Post by benissimus »

Whoops... well I came back for it :)

"hell" is always a frustrating thing in translation from English to Latin, since it is a post-Classical concept, yet everyone wants a word for it still. infernus is the Late Latin word, so I suppose it would be appropriate, though I prefer to avoid non-classical Latin (which I know close to nothing about).
Arcanium wrote:"My love for you is unconditional and undying. I would wish nothing about you to be changed, as you are perfect in my eyes. I would do anything for you, even run through the gates of hell itself. Would you spend the rest of your life with me?"
Integer immortalisque est mihi amor tui. Ne quoquo modo mutaveris, tu es mihi iam perfecta. Quodlibet faciam pro te, etsi in limina inferni intrando. Agesne cum me quae manserit vitam?

Well there ye go. I wouldn't mind seeing how someone else would translate it, it is more difficult in some ways to translate everyday speech than rhetoric or complex prose/poetry. I particularly like how the third sentence turned out, in the end there is a repetition of sounds and accent that emphasizes the drama and desperation of running through the gates of hell in a way I hadn't predicted (yes, I am a nerd). Anyways, good luck... maybe someone will send me a black rose someday...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Latina Dei per lingua non inter pueros mittit rosas mitti.

Arcanium
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Arcanium »

Thanks ben, it turned out to be a raging success. she said yes.! Thank you soo much., I'm taking introductory classic latin next term!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Well done son, I am just glad it were a she; for I severely doubted you to be an electron for a minute there.

Arcanium
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Arcanium »

ummm...care to explain that statement EP?

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

So she said si facio? :)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Quibusnam tua est perfecta? Si enim iam perfecta quare temet rursum fieri? Neque sentiri quidem episcopo queas. Deformis foret forsan. Ionization motusque nil teneret (etenim egomet possim abdomine conspecto illuc prolabi teque in palude relicto) ; facundiae tete tamen ad nimis nequeo loqui, nam episcopo est nullo casu visa.

Modo unum amplius mi eiciendum: quidnam tua proton perfecta latinam haudquaquam loquente ab ipsa electo? = ooh velut electron videtur.

=POSSESSO j00met

Arcanium
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Arcanium »

ok obviously i don't understand latin, so what are you saying man?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

don't worry mate, I'm just glad she said yes, you must be happy :)

Arcanium
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Arcanium »

Thanks dude. I am happy...the happiest i've ever been in fact.!

lau_kai
Textkit Neophyte

Post by lau_kai »

congrats

Arcanium
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Arcanium »

Thanks dude. :D

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

Petisti a Benissimo: ea de causa tibi responsum meum non dabo! Nah!

Comiter scripsi,

Philippus Moerus - Philippe Moury