Can't get this stultus translation

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
MyIlium
Textkit Neophyte

Can't get this stultus translation

Post by MyIlium » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:11 am

1. I'm losing it. Ad retia sedebam, my text says. You'd think after three years, I would be able to piece together a 3-word translation. I think it means I was sitting toward the nets, as in I was sitting facing the nets, but I don't know if ad can be used that way.

3. I skipped 2. I know.

4. Ipse; non tamen ut omnino ab quiete discederem.
Yes, myself; yet it was not that I wholly departed from calmness. I get the ut phrase, I just don't know how non tamen fits in. I think there should be an implied est somewhere, but that still wouldn't work...

5. Enotabamque. Neither my text nor Whittaker's Words provides a translation. I guess it mean 'and I was noticing,' or something along those lines.

6. There is no six. [/i]
phpbb

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:28 pm

I fancy the way you number the items on your agenda :)

But.

A translatio would be stulta, since it is feminine, 3rd declension. :wink:

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:03 pm

No, no, you aren't losing anything. But you have to translate the beginning of a "witty" letter by Pliny the Younger.

1. AD here means "near, next to" : Pliny was in charge of operating the (hunting) nets, he was "at" the nets.

4. Pliny sees himself as an intellectual, thus he shows out that physical and somewhat rough activity, as is hunting, doesn't interest him very much.

5. ENOTABAM : ex-notare : he wrote down his thoughts (maybe some other letter ?) onto wax tablets, as his favourite work, instead of being excited about the hunting.

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Re: Can't get this stultus translation

Post by Democritus » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:48 pm

MyIlium wrote:4. Ipse; non tamen ut omnino ab quiete discederem.
Yes, myself; yet it was not that I wholly departed from calmness. I get the ut phrase, I just don't know how non tamen fits in. I think there should be an implied est somewhere, but that still wouldn't work...
I think you are right, this is a sentence fragment. I agree with your translation. I'm having a hard time coming up with a translation that does not insert an "is" in there somewhere. Maybe something like, "Yes myself; not that I completely abandoned my calmness and inertia, mind you. I was seated at the nets. ..."

In Perseus I think this text is Pliny the Younger, Letters, 1.6.1, PLINIUS CORNELIO TACITO SUO S. (Right?)

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Can't get this stultus translation

Post by Skylax » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:33 am

Democritus wrote: In Perseus I think this text is Pliny the Younger, Letters, 1.6.1, PLINIUS CORNELIO TACITO SUO S. (Right?)
Right.