Speaking of Latin apps to be developed...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
adz000
Textkit Member

Speaking of Latin apps to be developed...

Post by adz000 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:37 pm

Except for Perseus (which can only be run with an internet connection), there is no Latin dictionary software available that provides information about VOWEL QUANTITY--at least that I know of. Please correct me if I am wrong, because I think such a program would be of great use to classicists. Not only are vowel quantities essential for reading Latin, but they're essential elements of Latin style as well: scanning verse, as well as scanning rhetorical clausulae. If there were a dictionary that provided such information, one could easily begin to assemble all sorts of important (I'd argue) statistical data about metrical usage that would take years without computers.

I think the best way to go about doing this would be to add information about quantity to an already existing dictionary, like Whitaker's, by two methods:

1) The application of a series of 'rules', such as Gildersleeve's where he spells out in great detail Latin prosody (including nearly all exceptions), I think could catch about 80% of all quantities on a low estimate.

2) Something could be then written to fetch information from Perseus to clean up the rest of them. Of course 'the rest' would be hard to know off-hand, so there might be a long period of using Perseus to verify. I'm wary of using Perseus like this, because downloading data would move slowly on the one hand, and could hammer the Perseus site on the other.

So, does anyone have any ideas? Anyone interested in working on this with me?

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:45 pm

yes, I'm interested in working on this. I have to finish off some current work and such, but I am definitely interested in this.

Extending dictionaries, etc. is a rich area I think.
phpbb

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:14 pm

http://www.latijnnederlands.nl includes macrons. It is a thousand times faster than Perseus. The paper dictionary comes with a CDRom, so if you have that, you could use it off-line.
Unfortunately for most of you, it's in Dutch.

Ingrid