Latin Audio Poll

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.

How would you use audio of spoken latin?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:19 pm

to hear the spoken language only
25%
to learn to speak the language
4%
both to listen and to speak
71%

Total votes: 24

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Latin Audio Poll

Post by Timothy »

Some of the members here and I have been working on a audio suppliment to the Latin texts available here. We hope to have the project ready in the next month or so. We are at the point now where we are beginning to finalize the work.

This poll is meant to get a feel for how members would use such a suppliment.

This poll will run for 30 days.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Well on my pc I have reading of me reading some Pliny. Ye shall hear me speak and have an eerie feeling, is this kid roman?

Well, providing that your supplements are the Whey Isolate >85% protein content then I shall vote yes.

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

:shock: that's awesome, which texts in particular? I would use them mostly to listen, but also to get a better sense of pronounciation in general, also indirect memorization thus whispering/reading aloud. When I listen to reconstructed latin, it becomes stuck and I end up mumbling the passage everywhere...

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

Hey, Good project! Thank you!

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

Amy wrote:...which texts in particular?
Beginner's Latin by Benjamin D'Ooge
The Beginner’s Latin Book by William C. Collar and M. Grant Daniell

We cover basic pronunciation and a number of passages from both texts.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I think the pronounciation sounds a bit german sometimes. And a few parts are not clear enough surely one could have not breathed so much like that! Nevertheless it's a great resource and something that could be used for example with Viva Voce for listening purposes only. To speak it you have to speak often with other people. To whom do you speak in latin?
Last edited by Episcopus on Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

is it released now?

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

classicalclarinet wrote:is it released now?
Sorry, not yet.

I've asked a few people to give it a first pass review so that we can correct any mistakes we missed. We should be done in about a month.

If this project has taught me one thing it's that things like this take time and patience.

Tim

Meowth
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Meowth »

Timothy wrote:
Amy wrote:...which texts in particular?
Beginner's Latin by Benjamin D'Ooge
The Beginner’s Latin Book by William C. Collar and M. Grant Daniell

We cover basic pronunciation and a number of passages from both texts.

yay ! :)

Amaranta
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Amaranta »

Awesome. Yet another reason for me to love Textkit. This will be so helpful.

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

Thank you for taking the time to put together the audio files, especially to books found here on TextKit. I think many will find it useful and entertaining! I, for one, enjoy listening to others read aloud as I follow the text. We have a small group here that meets once a week to take turns reading and sometimes acting out the parts. It is quite fun!

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

That is so cool! 8)

What texts are you using?

adz000
Textkit Member

Post by adz000 »

I haven't recorded any Latin, but I've used recordings of myself reading Greek (Homer) in order to memorize portions on a daily basis. I have about a half-hour walk to and from school (which I really enjoy having) and with an MP3 player I can do about 10 lines on a good day. I've always figured that I would move on to other things: some of Cicero's speeches, some Latin elegy, etc, but Homer is a never-ending project.

The one caveat for this method is that it's useful to split recordings into short and logical segments, so that someone can replay one section over easily. I find that about 10 hexameters is a manageable unit. I wouldn't know for prose.

But if someone else were doing something like this and posted their recording, I would certainly take advantage.

Thanks!