We'll see each other on thursday?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
amans
Textkit Enthusiast

We'll see each other on thursday?

Post by amans »

Salvete, everybody,

I am writing a short message in Latin and want to finish it off with a "We'll see each other on thursday!"

I have no problem with "on thursday" (die Iovis) nor with the verb see and its inflexions.

But I do wonder how to put the reflexive, mutual part of my sentence. How would one say "each other" in Latin?

Please help! Thanks.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

inter nos

ingrid

Tancredo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Tancredo »

Maybe just "nos", like in Spanish (nos veremos el jueves) or French (nous nous verrons le jeudi).

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

Vobis gratias maximas refero Ingrid atque Tancredo!

I was wondering if the word "mutuus" could somehow come into play here?

Or perhaps one could choose a verb to express the mutuality?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

A&G seems to corroborate Ingrid's suggestion
Allen & Greenough §145. c. wrote: The reciprocals one another and each other are expressed by inter se or alter... alterum:―
alter alterius ova frangit, they break each other's eggs (one... of the other).
inter se amant, they love one another (they love among themselves).
But... it doesn't say anything about pronouns other than se...

More from the L&S: here
Lewis & Short Latin Dictionary wrote: 2. In expressing any relation which connects two or more persons, conceived as between or among them (strife, rivalry, friendship, intercourse, etc.).

(a). In gen.: quos inter magna fuit contentio, Nep. Mil. 4, 4 : Nestor componere lites Inter Peliden festinat et inter Atriden, Hor. Ep. 1, 2, 12 : certamen inter primores civitates, Liv. 10, 6 .--Esp., with pronouns, to express all reciprocal relations, among, with, or between one another; mutually, together: quasi nunc non norimus nos inter nos, Ter. Ad. 2, 4, 7 ; Cic. Div. 1, 28, 58; id. Att. 10, 4, 10; id. N. D. 1, 26, 51: quod colloquimur inter nos,with one another, id. de Or. 1, 8, 32 ; cf.: inter nos naturā ad civilem communitatem conjuncti sumus, id. Fin. 3, 20, 66 : vobis inter vos voluntatem fuisse conjunctam, id. Div. in Caecil. 11, 34 : Ciceronis pueri amant inter se, love one another (like the Fr. s'entr'aimer), id. Att. 6, 1, 12: inter se consultare, id. de Or. 2, 3, 13 : inter se amare, id. Q. Fr. 3, 3, 1 : neque solum se colent inter se ac diligent, id. Lael. 22, 82 : Di inter se diligunt, id. N. D. 1, 44, 122 : furtim inter se aspiciebant, id. Cat. 3, 5, 13 : complecti inter se lacrimantes milites coepisse, Liv. 7, 42 : haec inter se cum repugnent, plerique non vident, Cic. Tusc. 3, 29, 72 : inter se nondum satis noti, Liv. 21, 39 : ratio et oratio conciliat homines inter se, Cic. Off. 1, 16, 50 : ne nostra nobiscum aut inter nos cessatio vituperetur, id. Fam. 9, 3, 4 : quae res eos in magno diuturnoque bello inter se habuit, Sall. J. 79, 3 .--Sometimes pleon., the reciprocal relation being sufficiently expressed by the context: manus conserentis inter se Romanos exercitus, Sall. H. 1, 41, 19 Dietsch: Ulixes cum Ajace summa vi contendere inter se, Dict. Cret. 5, 14 : conferti inter se, id. 2, 46 .--
I still don't see any clear indication of inter nos means "each other", not the first time I have been faced with this problem :( There are some adverbs from the adjective mutuus but I don't think that would sound quite right here. Maybe something with the defective noun vice, as te videbo et in vicem tu me "I shall see you and in turn you (will see) me", though surely not the most concise way around this. Skylax, Whiteoctave, halp!
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

My Dutch grammars give inter nos, inter vos and inter se as examples.
Inter nos laudamus; inter vos laudatis, inter se laudant.

Other ways to express each other are alius alium, alter alterum or repeating the noun in another case; but these are all about third persons, for first or second person you need the inter-construction.

Ingrid

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

See you on Thursday!

Post by Interaxus »

Here are some picture-strip balloon texts from Latin for Beginners, Usborne Language Guides. The unit is called ‘Arranging things’:

Tennis

A: ludemusne teniludio?
B: quando? Die Martis?
C: optime. usque ad diem Martis.

Swimming

A: natabimusne die Mercurii?
B: bene! Post meridiem?
A: optime! Tertia hora?
B: bene! usque ad diem Mercuri.

Going to the cinema

He: adibimusne hodie vesperi cinemam?
She: at hodie non possum.
He: crasne potes? Octava hora?
She: cras possum.
He: usque ad diem crastinum.
She: vale!

Going to a party

He: potesne adire convivium meum?
She: quando?
He: die Saturni vesperi.
She: doleo, quod non possunt. die Saturni discothecam adibo.

Perhaps you could use the ‘usque ad … ‘ solution.

When translating from one language to another, it is often impossible to use the same form to express the same content. For example, Swedish ‘vi ses’ means literally ‘we see-each-other’ (= Spanish ‘nos vemos’) but the English equivalent is ‘See you!’

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I like that one, usque ad diem Iovis "until Thursday!"
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

There are different solutions to express 'each other' in Latin. But mostly there is always one of these solutions that fits better to the context.

- Inter nos, vos, se ... is a possibility. Literally it means 'between us, you, ...', and so it can be used for 'each other'. Sometimes we can even use 'inter se / nos / vos ipsos' to give it extra force.
E. g.: Inter nos loquimur. We are having a conversation between us (= in our little group).

- You can also express it by 'alter ... alterum (for two persons)' or 'alius ... alium (for more than two persons)'. And of course we have to put these words in the correct case.
E. g.: Accidit ut alter alterum videremus (Cic., Fin. 3. 8 ). It happened that we saw each other. Or literally: We (=one of us) saw each other (=the other of us). Here alter is an apposition to 'nos' that is not expressed, but we can see it by the ending - mus of videremus.

- You can also repeat the same substantive.
E. g.: Ova ovorum simillima: One egg is very resembling to the other one. Eggs are as each other.

- Livius also uses 'invicem', but in classical Latin it means something else and so we will better not use this possibility.

In this case I would use 'alter ... alterum'.

We'll see each other on thursday.
[Nos] alter alterum die Iovis videbimus.

I would not add the 'nos'. Only if you want to stress that you are not seeing a third person I would add the 'nos.
[Usque] ad diem Iovis = untill thursday and I would not use that one in this case.

Valete,

Moerus.