Why is the genitive & genus of every substantive indicat

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Maximus
Textkit Neophyte

Why is the genitive & genus of every substantive indicat

Post by Maximus »

Salvete,

Beeing a beginner in latin, I have some questions:
In my latin book, all substantives are presented in this way: puella,-ae (f), vinum, -i (n) etc. Isn't it redundant to specify the genus and genitive? Isn't it obvious from the ending what the genus and the genitive of the word are? Since all the books I've seen so far indicate them, there surely must be some importance to this information.

thanks

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Why is the genitive & genus of every substantive ind

Post by Timothy »

Maximus wrote:Salvete,

Beeing a beginner in latin, I have some questions:
In my latin book, all substantives are presented in this way: puella,-ae (f), vinum, -i (n) etc. Isn't it redundant to specify the genus and genitive? Isn't it obvious from the ending what the genus and the genitive of the word are? Since all the books I've seen so far indicate them, there surely must be some importance to this information.

thanks
The gender of nauta is…?

The genitive of puer is pueri.
The genitive of ager is…?

You must learn (not deduce) the gender and genitive of the word.

- tim

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Let me join in

and the genitive of pondus is? What's the gender?

Titus Marius Crispus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Titus Marius Crispus »

And how about tempus?

You would think tempus must be 2nd declension masculine, wouldn't you? But only after seeing its genitive (temporis) would you know that it is actually 3rd declension.

Even then, how can you determine the gender? You can't, so the dictionary has to tell you.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

To summarize what the others have said, certain endings are shared by more than one declension and seeing both the nominative and genitive will tell you which declension the word is from. In addition, the gender must be shown because every declension has nouns of 2-3 genders that are declined alike or nearly alike.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I think that it took quite a while to prove this point. :P

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

poeta, -ae (m.)

Maximus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Maximus »

Thank you for your replies.
I erroneously thought that all words ending with -us were masculine and 2. declension and all words ending with -a were feminine and 1. declension etc., because all the words I encountered so far, followed this pattern. Too bad it isn't that way, as it would save much time.

regards

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

The weird verbs are coming! The weird verbs are coming! :shock: