Vocabulary Strategies

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Ioanna
Textkit Neophyte

Vocabulary Strategies

Post by Ioanna »

Hi.

I've just joined the forum and thought I'd throw out a question. I'm a first-year Latin student at university and was wondering if anyone has any good strategies for learning vocabulary. I have a lot of vocab that I need to learn or revise for my end-of-year exam in a couple of months.

(And yes, I have already subscribed to a Toolkit vocab course. What a great idea!)

Thanks,

Ioanna

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

A few thoughts

Make flashcards. Write them yourself, so you practise the words when writing them. Take a few with you each time you take a bus, train, plain etc.

Those pesky words you can't seem to remember: stick the flashcard on a door, so you see it each time you pass it.

Spread it over the day: 10 minutes in the morning, 10 in the afternoon, 10 in the evening works better than 30 minutes in one go.

Use the words: put them in sentences, define them in Latin, conjugate or decline them, etc.

Good luck!
Ingrid