The Latin Alphabet

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Augustus Secondus
Textkit Neophyte

The Latin Alphabet

Post by Augustus Secondus »

Could I get a list of the letters of the Latin Alphabet and each letter's pronunciation (id est: a=ah,b=beh, etc.), or a link to a page with audio files of letter pronunciation? I would greatly appreciate it because I have yet to find any page on the internet with it listed.
Last edited by Augustus Secondus on Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

are you learning from a textbook? if so, there should be a page or two to guide your pronounciation. If not, you can look at the grammars posted here on the site.

Augustus Secondus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Augustus Secondus »

classicalclarinet wrote:are you learning from a textbook? if so, there should be a page or two to guide your pronounciation. If not, you can look at the grammars posted here on the site.
I am talking about how to pronounce letters as if you are "singing" the alphabet the way the Romans would have. The textbook I am using shows only how to pronounce the letters when used in words.

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

ohh!!! I see. I think the grammar Allen & Greenough tells you that, in the first page.

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Michaelyus wrote:http://www.orbilat.com/Languages/Latin/ ... ccent.html has a little on the alphabet.
I think this page is correct, but beware they don't mention the tricky pronunciation of qu which is the same as if it were spelt cu.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

benissimus wrote:I think this page is correct, but beware they don't mention the tricky pronunciation of qu which is the same as if it were spelt cu.
always? I know that equus can be written as ecus, but I thought that in words like aqua, the u was pronounced as a consonant.
What's your source?

Just curious...
Ingrid.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

ingrid70 wrote:
benissimus wrote:I think this page is correct, but beware they don't mention the tricky pronunciation of qu which is the same as if it were spelt cu.
always? I know that equus can be written as ecus, but I thought that in words like aqua, the u was pronounced as a consonant.
What's your source?

Just curious...
Ingrid.
No, not at all! Just the name of the Letter is pronounced "coo" or Latine "cu", even though it is spelt qu.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

OK, I misunderstood

Ingrid