Translation for the word "Adore"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
marcusjb
Textkit Neophyte

Translation for the word "Adore"

Post by marcusjb »

Merriam webster says that the word "adore" as in "I adore my daughter" comes from the Latin word "adorare"

I'm wondering if this is correct, and also if you might be able suggest an authentic looking old type Latin font.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

My Webster’s indicates the same:

a-dore,
from the Old French adoren,
from the Latin adorare, to worship, [ad, to, + orare, to speak, from os, oris, mouth]

Times New Roman font face is fine. Use all capitols; substitute ‘V’ for ‘U’; use Roman numerals.

HTH

- tim

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I concur. There is also a nice font called "Wide Latin". "Times New Roman"should be an obvious choice by its name ;)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Trajan is one of my favourite romanesque fonts. It's not free though.

There are also a couple of cool medieval-looking ones, but I don't know their names off the top of my head. Maybe try a search for latin fonts. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

marcusjb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by marcusjb »

I just checked dictionary.com and it says that its from adorare with a line over the "o" and second "a" (i'm sorry, but I don't know how to type those in here)

I'm assuming that they're different words (soft of)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Those are called macrons and they are only for pronunciation, they do not change the meanings of the words like accents in some languages.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

marcusjb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by marcusjb »

Would one be considered "correct" over the other?

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

Macrons are only intended as reminders for scholars ("oh right that's a long I! OH NO THERE GOES THE POEM") in pronouncing Latin aloud, scanning poetry etc. The Romans wrote without macrons. if you're just doing a short phrase you should memorize which vowels are long yourself so that you can pronounce it correctly but forget about macrons.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

I've downloaded a few free fonts ages ago:

Justinian http://www.fontfinder.ws/7311/Justinian.html
Vatican rough letter http://simplythebest.net/fonts/fonts/vatican.html

Ingrid

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Justinian is very nice; I highly recommend it.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

After a bit of searching, I found these fonts that are also pretty good, Chanticleer Roman
http://www.searchfreefonts.com/fonts/c7.htm

I also found a commercial font, but a very excellent one-
http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.a ... pid=203065

Does anyone know of any free fonts that imitate this 'inscribed' style like above, with the tailed "Q"?

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

marcusjb wrote:I just checked dictionary.com and it says that its from adorare with a line over the "o" and second "a" (i'm sorry, but I don't know how to type those in here)
If you have Microsoft Word 2000 (or up... I'm not sure) you can type it in (laboriously) by going to Insert > Symbol. There should be a character map including vowels with macrons and carons (carons are only used when scanning poetry; short vowels can be in long syllables; the caron marks out a short syllable e.g. ĕ. It is not to be confused with the háček, which has a pointed apex, while the caron is curved) and lots of others (Hebrew, basic Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic).

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

There is also, under Windows 95-XP, a program on the System tools menu (Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools) called "Character Map"

With it you can see the table of character for any font on your system and copy/paste them. You can also get the keyboard sequence to use to enter them. Usually it is the ALT+<number>. for example, ALT+0167 = §

- tim

marcusjb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by marcusjb »

Thanks for all of your help guys!

Now can you point me in the right direction to learn how to pronounce this properly?

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

marcusjb wrote:Thanks for all of your help guys!

Now can you point me in the right direction to learn how to pronounce this properly?
Down the block, left at Enunciation Avenue, then…

ado-rā-re

like ahdoh-RAH-rey

trill the ‘r’, ahdoh-RRRAH-rey