Bradley's Arnold - Latin Prose Composition, Mistake?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
britsrule03
Textkit Neophyte

Bradley's Arnold - Latin Prose Composition, Mistake?

Post by britsrule03 »

I just started the Bradley's Arnold Latin Prose Composition, and after reading through the lengthy beginning I arrived at the first sentence of the first exercise.

"I have been elected consul by the votes of the Roman people; you are favoured by the enemies of the human race."

It seems like a nice and simple sentence...but then you translate it into Latin, get to the answer key and find this answer.

"Ego populi Romani suffragiis consul sum factus, tibi ab hostibus humani generis favetur."

It all makes sense except for "favetur." Why is it third person singular rather than second? I can't find a reason.

MatthaeusLatinus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Bradley's Arnold - Latin Prose Composition, Mistake?

Post by MatthaeusLatinus »

it's used impersonally, like tibi ignotum est, "you are forgiven"

britsrule03
Textkit Neophyte

Post by britsrule03 »

Ahhh. I see. Ok. Thank you so much!

ptolemyauletes
Textkit Fan

Post by ptolemyauletes »

Verbs that take oblique cases ( these include verbs that take the dative, such as parco, credo, pareo, and, faveo) can never be used passively with a person other than an impersonal third person. This is due to their nature. They need to have their object in the dative. When you flip a verb from active to passive, normally the accusative in the active sentence becomes the nominative subject in the new passive sentence. This cannot work with verbs like faveo. Therefore such verbs become impersonal. 'ego tibi faveo', becomes 'a me tibi favetur', 'it is trusted to you by me'.
The only thing we can guarantee when communicating via the internet is that we will be almost completely misunderstood, and likely cause great offence in doing so. Throw in an attempt at humour and you insure a lifelong enemy will be made.