Help with translation for jewelry engraving

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
DLWing
Textkit Neophyte

Help with translation for jewelry engraving

Post by DLWing »

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting in this forum and I am hoping to find help here in translating Love Beyond Measure for a necklace engraving. I don't know if this will help or if it makes a difference, but the kind of love I'm referring to is the kind a Mother has for her children. I have tried several online translators but I'm not sure how accurate they are and I was getting several different results. Your help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to read my request.

MatthaeusLatinus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Help with translation for jewelry engraving

Post by MatthaeusLatinus »

many possibilities here
one could be
amor sine fine

DLWing
Textkit Neophyte

Post by DLWing »

MatthaeusLatinus wrote:many possibilities here
one could be
amor sine fine
Thanks again MatthaeusLatinus, I have this one on my list from when you helped me a few days ago. I sure do appreciate it. I'm just trying to get a few possibilities and choose the one that will actually fit on the small surface to be engraved on. So far I have:

amor sine fine
amor infinitus

Both take up the same amount of spaces, so both will work. I really value you're opinion, which translation would you prefer to see engraved on a necklace for a female? Thanks again for your help. :D

MatthaeusLatinus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MatthaeusLatinus »

Both are fine, really.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

How about: Amor n'estimandus

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Minimé. Ambiguum est. Sic anglicè convertatur "Amor non estimandus": "A love not to be valued" (aliter dictu "worthless love"). Porrò non latina "n'" abbreviatio pro "non" adverbio, nisi fallor.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Post by timeodanaos »

Amor sine fine is definitely the best of the suggestions.

Though it isn't a quote from one of the classics, it could most definitely have been written by, say, Ovid; sine fine is often used with nouns, often in a phrase like dictator sine fine ( = dictator perpetuus), the famous example from the first? book of the Aeneid imperium sine fine dedi, and a quick search reveals that Ovid somewhere has dolor sine fine, a pain without end, and both love and pain are after all emotions.