Need help, please.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Ambercrown
Textkit Neophyte

Need help, please.

Post by Ambercrown »

Greetings all. I come to the lot of you in need of help. A friend and I are trading phrases in different languages to "test" each other. This last phrase he sent me is in Latin and I would like a little help translating it as none of the online Latin dictionary seem to being helping me out much with this one.<br /><br />Here it is...<br />quin tu istanc oratonem hinc veterem atque anitquam amoves<br /><br />Any and all help is appreciated.

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Re:Need help, please.

Post by vinobrien »

quin tu istanc orationem hinc veterem atque antiquam amoves<br /><br />Why don't you put aside this old-fashioned and ancient speech of yours<br /><br />Without the context it's a bit difficult to know what oratio refers to here, a manner of speaking or a set speech. I'm also not sure what the difference between vetus and antiquus is.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I thought that "vetus" means old (man) and "antiquus" means ancient.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

So what's the difference implied here? And is there a difference between these words and senex? Anyone got a new OLD?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

A good vocabulary is a healthy thing to have ;)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae