A little translation question

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
rdavey
Textkit Neophyte

A little translation question

Post by rdavey »

Hi everybody,<br /><br />You know the saying "Seize the day"? Well, In my life I find that procrastination, funny emails, "urgent" requests and periodic snack-attacks frequently leave me stranded in the latter half of the afternoon with little or nothing accomplished and feelings of frustration at my productivity deficit.<br /><br />But fear not. I pull up my socks, whistle a little tune, determine in my heart that I am going to accomplish at least one of my assigned tasks for the day then pursue this goal with unwavering resolve.<br /><br />In effect, I attempt to "Salvage the Day".<br /><br />Any help with the translation? Rescue the day perhaps?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Rob<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re:A little translation question

Post by benissimus »

One possibility would be "Eripe diem", which means "Rescue the day", which I think is a good choice since it is similar in meaning to "Carpe diem"... Eripe being a construction with rapere (to seize/snatch).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:A little translation question

Post by Skylax »

It could also be "Diem serva"...