Pronoun Drills?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Quin Firefrorefiddle
Textkit Neophyte

Pronoun Drills?

Post by Quin Firefrorefiddle »

Hi! So, I just finished Cap. VIII of LL, and I worry that I'm still kind of fuzzy on the various pronouns (and interrogative adjectives and such). Anybody have any Latin-only online drills for those? I think I have "hic" down okay, but "ille", and the various "qui" and "quis" and such aren't quite there yet. I would especially like some that contrast quid/quod/qui/quis.

Thanks!
Pax vobiscum!

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Pronoun Drills?

Post by adrianus »

I don't know where on the internet you can find Latin-only pronoun drills.
Nescio ubi in interrete sint merè latinè de pronominum declinatione exercitationes iterantes.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Hampie
Textkit Member

Post by Hampie »

Quin Firefrorefiddle wrote:Hi! So, I just finished Cap. VIII of LL, and I worry that I'm still kind of fuzzy on the various pronouns (and interrogative adjectives and such). Anybody have any Latin-only online drills for those? I think I have "hic" down okay, but "ille", and the various "qui" and "quis" and such aren't quite there yet. I would especially like some that contrast quid/quod/qui/quis.

Thanks!
hic = this/here
ille = that
illic = there

Quis, quid = interrogative, i.e. when asking «Who’s there?» or «What do you want?»
Qui, quod = relative, can be replaced with ’that’ in english, i.e. «I’m te man, who is going to kill you!»

Don’t stare yourself blind trying to learn Latin in Latin, sometimes explanations given in a tounge you’re fluent in be very helpfull.
Här kan jag i alla fall skriva på svenska, eller hur?

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

Quin Firefrorefiddle wrote:Hi! So, I just finished Cap. VIII of LL, and I worry that I'm still kind of fuzzy on the various pronouns (and interrogative adjectives and such)....
I take a slightly different approach by memorizing only the differences between the genders/cases.
For the interrogative plural, for example, I try to memorize only the Nom & Acc in the M,F, & N genders knowing the Gen, Dat & Abl are the same w/ the exception of the Gen Fem.

Hope this helps,
dlb
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

Quin Firefrorefiddle
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Quin Firefrorefiddle »

Hampie wrote:Don’t stare yourself blind trying to learn Latin in Latin, sometimes explanations given in a tounge you’re fluent in be very helpfull.
Actually, I'm loving LL- Latin is the fifth language not my own I've done extensive work in, and has been the easiest by far. (I will go back and pick up Koine again one day, but I've officially abandoned the Ancient Hebrew. And I haven't made any hard and fast decisions about modern French and German yet.) The natural method is working brilliantly for me, I should have guessed years ago that I would learn best by reading and inductive reasoning, they always have been my strong suits. And every time I took another language I always lamented that I didn't have enough text to read that showcased good grammar and syntax. I do have LL's College Companion, of course, that's helped a lot in terms of the difficulties you're talking about, and my background in Greek has helped with declensions and so on.

However, my problem isn't realizing what the words mean initially, but memorizing the forms, and, for example, drilling into my brain the interrogative adjective vs. the interrogative pronoun- they are so similar. And I know that the "hic" pronoun forms mean "this" and the "ille" forms mean "that", but it's the forms themselves I'd like to drill in.

I should also clarify, when I say Latin only drills, I'm not looking to translated Latin into English or English into Latin, but I don't care if the instructions or grades or such are in English. (Or another language, so long as I can puzzle it out!)

Thanks, everybody!
Pax vobiscum!

Hampie
Textkit Member

Post by Hampie »

Do you have the accompaning ‹Exercitia Latina› that is supposed to be used with the main textbook? Otherwise you could try searching for relative pronoun exercises on google :)
Här kan jag i alla fall skriva på svenska, eller hur?