Is Latin Grammar by one Father Jean of St.Joseph's College?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
SAIRAM
Textkit Neophyte

Is Latin Grammar by one Father Jean of St.Joseph's College?

Post by SAIRAM »

Is Latin Grammar by one Father Jean of St.Joseph's College, Tiruchirapalli, Tamil Nadu, India, still available anywhere?

It was being used as the main book in St.Paul's High School, Belgaum, India, during the second World War years?

It had Latin right from the basics up to MA standard!

Thanks,

GOPAL

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Is Latin Grammar by one Father Jean of St.Joseph's College?

Post by adrianus »

I looked for it without success, SAIRAM. Out of print, no second-hand copy up for sale, and not reproduced online, according to my search.
Istam grammaticam frustrâ quaesivi. Ut invenio, non jam impressa, nusquàm in interrete simulata, nullum exemplum usu tritum venale prostitum.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

REGUMREX69
Textkit Neophyte

Post by REGUMREX69 »

I'm very sorry I could not reply immediately.
Thank you so much for taking the trouble.
I wrote to the principal of the college but have not
heard from him so far.
O tempora, o mores!!!

REGUMREX69
Textkit Neophyte

Post by REGUMREX69 »

To Adrianus and others interested in Fr. Jean's Latin Grammar.

I think I may be able to get the old copy I once used.

If I get it, [size=150]how can we make it availabe FREE to everybody, not the book itself,
but as copies for download via TextKit or Google Books.[/size] I have no idea how to
go about it.

If I remember correctly, a Jesuit father once told me that this one book
can clear up almost every doubt a student of Latin could ever have!
"Multum in parvo. Timeo virum unius libri!"

It would be some time before I know whether it is still in good condition
and available.

Sincerely,
GSG
Friday 5:03 PM PST 12/3/2010 MMX December 03

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salve REGUMREX69
Here's advice I gave elsewhere
Ecce consilium quod alicui alibi dedi
http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8491 wrote:Use a tripod.
Use a Bembo trekker tripod to come in over the books, if you can. (Obviously a copy stand is nice but I have a Kaiser Pro copy stand and actually prefer to use the Bembo.)
Make sure the plane of the camera body is parallel to the book or table surface (using a camera spirit level usually, or else by eyeballing it)
Try to avoid shadows cast on the page by the tripod or by anything else (including you).
Use diffuse or even lighting, to prevent uneven distribution of light across the pages.
Make sure the lighting of the pages is good to ensure best detail contrast. So use some reading lamps if you haven't got shadow boxes, but avoid lighting hotspots by positioning the lamps too close to the pages.
JPEG capture will be fine, as long as you keep it fine or good and not low resolution.
Best to photo double spreads, rather than single pages, for speed, and this requires you checking the detail capture. I've captured double-spreads of A3 dimensions and held resolution on 6-point fonts with a 5 megapixel camera in the past, as long as you are follow these guidelines, but obviously higher megapixel capture is better, although for the Stephanus books 7 to 10 megapixel capture is better.
Use a remote trigger on the camera to prevent shake.
With the camera relatively close to the book, don't underestimate the depth of field required to ensure all points of the page surface are in focus (pages bow).
Keep a high resolution to ensure accurate capture of small point sizes (fonts).
Follow a system of visually and mentally noting each page number to ensure you don't skip a page in a long run (you needn't write it down of course, just keep an eye out for skipping pages, which can often happen).
Remember to photograph the outer covers and spine (it's nice to do so) and even the seemingly unimportant pages (no pages are unimportant).
Try not to damage the spine keeping the book flat, and increase depth of field if you need to, in preference to forcing the book flat.
You need to devise your own method of ensuring pages stay flat when you photograph them and if you suspect they may have moved during the shot, take a second shot --much harder to return to this if you hand the books back to the library and then discover some pages have motion blurring.
Photograph at a fine or high resolution and as high as possible colour depth. DO NOT use a low image-capture resolution or or low colour depth (--bit resolution should be at least 8 bit and 24-bit is great). You can always sample down using batch processing in PhotoShop if the total file size is much too high.
If the book has much detail, photograph in colour in preference to grayscale, even if your book is B&W. You will hold a broader tonal range for illustration detail and, importantly, for very fine print (plus it's a more faithful image, anyway).
And I would certainly love to be able to get the copy.

In linguam latinam has res non verto. Nimium est. Me excusas.
KramerKram wrote:Hmm... This may be a bigger task than I am able to take on
Not at all. My recommendations are how to get maximum quality. Be happy with any quality at all, and learn from your mistakes.
Minimé, KramerKram. Commendationibus meis, problemates omnia praecipere conor. Quod potes attingere conare, et erroribus disce.
If you lack the skills or means, ask a friend with a digital camera to help.
Si habilitas vel opera tibi eget, auxilium amici qui machinam photographicam et digitalem habet quaere.

To convert your JPG images into a PDF, use Photoshop or Adobe Acrobat or a free converter you might get online.
Ut imagines è JPG formâ in formam PDF traducas, instrumento vertendi utere, ut Photoshop, ut Adobe Acrobat, ut quod sine pretio in interrete reperiri potest.

The final step of whom to send your PDF file to for posting online I'm unsure of. It depends on who wants to host your PDF online.
Ultimum gradum ignoro; id est, cui locum in interrete servandi aptum offerenti scapum PDF confectum mittas ignoro.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

REGUMREX69
Textkit Neophyte

Post by REGUMREX69 »

To Adrianus and KramerKram

I'll let you know if and when I receive Fr Jean's book.
It may be a while.

Thank you so much for your time and patience in detailing the steps.
However, I'm afraid it's all beyond me and I can't think of anybody
who would be willing to undertake this herculean task -- hoc opus, hic labor est!

On a different topic.

If you already knew about this, please ignore it.

Here are the links which might interest you.

I hope the tiny URLs work.

http://tinyurl.com/latin-prose-bradley

http://tinyurl.com/gray-bradley

The point is the English
"And all the air a solemn stillness holds"

which could be ambiguous

leaves no room for doubt in Latin

"et tacitas auras occupat alta quies"

I just wanted to share this with you.

Good luck and all the best,

GSG
BTW, I'm both SAIRAM and REGUMREX69

To nip an incipient suspicion in the bud,

the 69 represents 1969, my annus mirabilis,
truly a time of miracles in my life, by the grace of the Almighty.

REGUMREX69
Textkit Neophyte

Post by REGUMREX69 »

PS

Self-explanatory - deliberate oracular ambiguity

http://tinyurl.com/aio-te-romanos

Croesus got fooled by
http://tinyurl.com/great-empire

The duke yet lives that Henry shall depose -- Shakespeare
http://tinyurl.com/duke-henry

Thanks,
GSG
Sunday 10:17 AM PST 12/5/2010 MMX December 05

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Patruus »

REGUMREX69 wrote: Thank you so much for your time and patience in detailing the steps.
However, I'm afraid it's all beyond me and I can't think of anybody
who would be willing to undertake this herculean task -- hoc opus, hic labor est!
Many books can be satisfactorily digitized with the kind of budget scanner that most people have unless, that is, the print comes too close to the inner margin, or the binding is impossibly stiff.

REGUMREX69
Textkit Neophyte

Post by REGUMREX69 »

Thanks, Patruus, a valid point. I'm now hoping for the best!
GSG