Movies in Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
andmed
Textkit Neophyte

Movies in Latin

Post by andmed »

What movies in Latin language do you know and would recomend (apart from the "Passion of the Christ"). It would be nice if it has subtitles too!

Thanks

Andrey

p.s. I searched this forum for "movies" and found one topic viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5280&p=44797&hilit=movies#p44797 but the link there is dead, so I have even no idea what it was about.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Movies in Latin

Post by bedwere »

Fortasse istud?

Maybe this?

Pro Archia

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Sebastiane by Derek Jarman is the only latin-language feature film I know. It's good,—but note well: it's an erotic film dealing with love between Roman soldiers.

Sebastiane (1976) de Derek Jarman est sola taenia plenâ formâ in sermonibus latinis quam gnosco. Bona est,—at nota benè: est taenia erotica amorem inter milites Romanos spectans.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

adrianus wrote:Sebastiane by Derek Jarman is the only latin-language feature film I know. It's good,—but note well: it's an erotic film dealing with love between Roman soldiers.

Sebastiane (1976) de Derek Jarman est sola taenia plenâ formâ in sermonibus latinis quam gnosco. Bona est,—at nota benè: est taenia erotica amorem inter milites Romanos spectans.
maybe I can show it to my sixth grade Latin class. :lol:
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Post by Damoetas »

paulusnb wrote:maybe I can show it to my sixth grade Latin class. :lol:
Judging by the clips of it on YouTube, I think that would be a wonderful idea! Especially if you are planning to quit that job soon anyway :)
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Does the whole movie have to be in Latin? Ah, nevermind. I suppose Romanes eunt domus wouldn't be enough Latin either way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

If it's any consolation, the actors in Sebastiane were unskilled in Latin, you might like to know, but did well nevertheless. And the dialogue is pretty sparse!

Si vobis consolationem adhibeat, scitote latinum in loquendo scaenicos illius taeniae non peritos, at benè tamen perfecti sunt. Et macrius colloquium!
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Nor do I think any latin subtitles have been produced for any film (I looked), which would have been useful.

Nec exstant, nisi fallor, subtituli in sermonibus latinis cuicunque taeniolae producti (eos inquisivi), quod aliter opus fuisset.

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

There are these. http://www.lingua.co.uk/latin/ I cannot imagine they are any good. And then there is the Forum Romanum DVD from American Classics League. (http://www.nle.org/forum.html) The value of these, from what I understand, is that they are horribly cheesy. But they are in Latin. You could always watch Luke the Horse's newscasts on Youtube and wonder at the wide variety of colorful shirts he owns. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRGTYXulemg)
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

adrianus wrote:If it's any consolation, the actors in Sebastiane were unskilled in Latin, you might like to know, but did well nevertheless. And the dialogue is pretty sparse!
I was not going to touch this with a 10 inch pole, but does the movie make up for its sparsity of dialogue by extending other matters?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

If you're not just kidding (you could be, of course, paulusnb), I can say this in reply. It's still quite shocking today as a movie; it's all about the visual; it's not into innuendo; and maybe the aesthetics swamp the story of Christian martyrdom.

Si non modò cavillaris (quod cavillaris benè possibile est certó, paulusnb), hoc tibi responsare possum de hâc taeniâ. Et his diebus potestatem consternare habet; permagnè oculo est; palàm non clàm ea multas res scrutatur; praeter narrationem martyrii christiani, ars visifica eam forsit exsuperat.

Impiger
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Impiger »

An almost feature length movie has been made by the Latin Teacher and students at Santa Monica High School in California. The language is totally Latin and it is about the lives and problems of the students. The title is 'Pacifica' and this preview can be seen on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEMmbxAHycY

You might contact the 'producer' for more details.

Best, I.

quendidil
Textkit Member

Post by quendidil »

The Passion of the Christ is available in Ecclesiastical Latin IIRC.

Impiger
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Impiger »

I should add that the classic film 'Man for All Seasons' with Paul Schofield (1966), there is a great scene in which Thomas More's daughter speaks Latin with Henry VIII.

Impiger

Kaleiokanakaanuenue
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kaleiokanakaanuenue »

There's a 2014 movie called "The Roman" or "The Son of Raw's The Roman" by Simon Rawson. The script is entirely Ecclesiastical Latin, I think. I haven't been able to find the full movie (in fact, I believe the movie was only finished in June).

As this is my second post, I'm unable to post any links, but if anyone is interested in a trailer, you can search IMDB and find a link to Rawson's website.

Gratias ago propter magnas inscriptiones vestras; quattuor annum ego responsum mansi et quaesivi. Nunc gaudium mihi est inspirare huic foro vitam novam. :mrgreen:

Smythe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Smythe »

Kaleiokanakaanuenue wrote:There's a 2014 movie called "The Roman" or "The Son of Raw's The Roman" by Simon Rawson. The script is entirely Ecclesiastical Latin, I think. I haven't been able to find the full movie (in fact, I believe the movie was only finished in June).
I looked this up. Seems like it could be pretty cool. Prolly not a lot of talking, I suspect. Unfortunately, it's "making the rounds" or something at film fests. It is possible that it wouldn't even see a limited DVD release. So, that would suck.

Anyways, here's the link for those interested. http://the-roman-movie.com/trailer/

And, to all those who care about such things, sorry for adding on to a zombie thread.

-s

Vladimir
Textkit Member

Post by Vladimir »

andmed wrote:What movies in Latin language do you know and would recomend (apart from the "Passion of the Christ").
Has the "Passion of Christ" been translated completely in Latin?

Vladimir
Textkit Member

Post by Vladimir »

A dialogue in classical Latin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Beqks5fHQ