how to use "because"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Quis ut Deus
Textkit Member

how to use "because"

Post by Quis ut Deus »

Salve omnis!

I haven't visited but I promise you I have been hard at work studying my declensions and conjugations.

I have taken up a diary in Latin to help me along.

Anyways, I was wondering if somebody can help me put together some phrases for everyday activities.

For example, I want to say, "I went to sleep because I was tired," or "She left because it was late," "I bought dinner because I was hungrty."

Here's what I have:

Dormi quod defessus erat.
Discessit quod tardus erat.
Emi cibum quod famelicus erat.

I'm not sure if I'm using "quod" correctly, or if there is another word for "because" in this situation.
THanks again. Gratis vobis ago!

ptolemyauletes
Textkit Fan

Re: how to use "because"

Post by ptolemyauletes »

Yes, in fact 'quod' is just about the only thing correct in these sentences. But don't be discouraged. Mistakes are how we learn.

In your first sentence re-check your principal parts for your verb. i is the correct ending, but the stem is wrong. Secondly, you need to say 'I was tired' not 'he was tired' as you have.

In your second sentence 'tardus' does not work because the 'us' ending is describing something masculine, and 'it' is not masculine. It would be better to ue an adverb like 'tardius' = 'it was rather late.'

Again in your third sentence you need a different verb ending from 'erat'. You want to say 'I was hungry'. This is not great way to say that in Latin, Try to find a verb that means 'to hunger' and use it instead.
The only thing we can guarantee when communicating via the internet is that we will be almost completely misunderstood, and likely cause great offence in doing so. Throw in an attempt at humour and you insure a lifelong enemy will be made.

Quis ut Deus
Textkit Member

Post by Quis ut Deus »

Good!

'Dormivi' it should have been. The "dormi" was a little bit of interference from my L2, Spanish. :?

'Tarda' it should have been. By cutting out the pronoun I forgot I was talking about a female.

I'll look for a verb that means "to hunger."

But other than that my use of 'quod' is OK? That's encouraging!

Well, back to the drawing board.

Gratias tibi ago!

Quis ut Deus
Textkit Member

New sentence

Post by Quis ut Deus »

Ea cibum emit quod esuriebatur.

She bought food because she was hungry.

esuriebatur = she was hungry IMPERFECT PASSIVE.

Is this a better sentence?

Gratias tibi ago!

ptolemyauletes
Textkit Fan

Post by ptolemyauletes »

I am still not sure about using tarda as an adjective here. It normally means 'slow' or 'sluggish'. I still feel the adverb 'tardius' would be better.

esurio is the perfect verb, but there is no need to make it passive. 'She was hungry' is an active idea. 'She hungered.'
The only thing we can guarantee when communicating via the internet is that we will be almost completely misunderstood, and likely cause great offence in doing so. Throw in an attempt at humour and you insure a lifelong enemy will be made.

Quis ut Deus
Textkit Member

Post by Quis ut Deus »

Thanks again for chiming in, ptolemyauletes.

It's gonna take me a while to get the nuances of this magificent language.

Until, then, back to the drawing board and cheers!

Gratias tibi ago.

Iulia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Iulia »

Quis ut Deus wrote: For example, I want to say, "She left because it was late"
Or, if you wanted to convey the idea that she left because it was late in the day/evening, would sero from serus, -a, -um be a good fit? As in,

Discessit quod sero erat.

Iulia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Iulia »

ptolemyauletes wrote:I am still not sure about using tarda as an adjective here. It normally means 'slow' or 'sluggish'. I still feel the adverb 'tardius' would be better.
Also, noster Ptoleme, I meant to also ask why you suggest tardius rather than simply tarde? Gratias, /Iulia

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Iulia wrote:Or, if you wanted to convey the idea that she left because it was late in the day/evening, would sero from serus, -a, -um be a good fit? As in,

Discessit quod sero erat.
Plus
quod vespere/vesperi/flexo in vesperam diem erat/vesperabat [late Latin!]/vesperascebat/advesperascebat [secundum Ainsworth]
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

What about quia? is that solely for answering cur?

Cur discetes, amice?
Quia sero est et debeo iter facere.

For example?
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Others may be wiser, Scribo, but I don't see a distinction between "quod" and "quia" and "quo" (or "quoniam" or "quando" explaining from the writer's/speaker's sole viewpoint) in replying to "cur". I don't know any rule to the contrary about that (which isn't saying much).
Alii me sapientiores sint, Scribo, at distinctionem exstare inter "quod" et "quia" et "quo" (et "quoniam" et "quando", sub judicio oratoris/scriptoris solo) ad "cur" in respondendo non cogito. De hâc re, ullam regulam quae prohibet ignoro (quod non multum significat).

Cur discedis?
Quia/quod/quoniam/quando sero est [at hîc non "quo" ut sentio]
Et quia/quod/quo/quando/quoniam debeo iter facere.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.