The use of "in", accusative or ablative?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Jordan St. Francis
Textkit Neophyte

The use of "in", accusative or ablative?

Post by Jordan St. Francis »

I was trying to write a sentence to say that "he was in exile". Would this be erat in exsilium or erat in exsilio. For some reason I am inclined to put exsilium into the accusative. Is this correct?

Thanks.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: The use of "in", accusative or ablative?

Post by adrianus »

Salve Jordane,

Ego, secundùm dictionarium de Ainsworth, dicam hoc: // Well, I would say this (after Ainsworth), "In exilium pulsus/depulsus/actus/ejectus erat" seu "exilio affectus erat" seu "exul/extorris erat".
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

There is also a verb exsulo, but yes if you do the esse construction it must be ablative.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

My tuppence worth. 'in' followed by the accusative means into, followed by the ablative means actually in. for example 'in aquam' means into the water, 'in aqua' menas actually in the water. So the answer to your question is, I think, when he went into exile iit in exsilium, but once there erat in exsilio.